UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4370  
Subject: Re: How to find Professional Advice Date: 9/5/2012 7:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Dwdonhoff:

<<<My parents' occupation(s) reflect on my character? Wow?>>>

"Again, not particularly the title or field... but how *YOU* represent your meaning of what they did, and how you disclose its effects on your personal discretion would be *VERY* relevant."

How would you measure?

"The end message of character may be exactly the same between 2 professionals who had a brain surgeon and a plumber respectively as fathers... and very differently between professionals who's fathers were both accountants at the same firm shoulder to shoulder. Its more important to listen to *HOW* the respondants answer than the text of their reponse."

How does the response measure character?

It feels like reading tea leaves to me

"*ASSUMING* character matters to you. To me, it does... both in those who represent me, and those who I choose as clients. Since I've taken this position, my life has been exponentially easier and more productive/profitable."

I agree that character matters, but I still fail to see how most of the questions you originally posed necessarily reveal much about the character of the potential lawyer?

Why not ask him/her:

Why manhole covers are round?

If he/she have ever had an affair?

If he/shee files income tax returns timely and whether their returns are well within the bounds of the law or whether they are super agressive, playing audit roulette, and are perfectlyw illing to pay more taxes and interest if caught by the IRS?

Whether he/she has ever had any complaints filed against them with the relevant bar association(s) or any malpractice claims in a court?

Seems to me that there are better questions that reveal more about character of the potential lawyer than some of the questions you sugggested.

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement