UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4306  
Subject: Re: How to find Professional Advice Date: 9/6/2012 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Dwdonhoff:

<<<Sure, #1 is a personal question that may offend the person. Maybe his/her reaction to the question will reveal more about his/her character than answering a question about his/her parents' occupation.>>>

"Perhaps... my experience is that a family background question is less confrontational than asking about their sexual loyalty. You & JAFO may have different magic, I suppose."

Except you have yet to offer any explanation about how the parents' occupations reveals necessarily reveals anything about the personal core character of the child turned lawyer.

<<<For question #2, would you want an estate lawyer designing your estate plan if he/she plays audit roulette with the IRS every year? I'd want a plan that stands up in court if challenged.>>>

"The problem with this question, as written, is that its not neutral... its jammed with all kinds of prejudgmental spin & positioning. Its exponentially more difficult to read someone's core character while they are responding to yours."

Then rephrase it. There are plenty people who know they are playing audit roulette and not afraid to admit it; and there are those who they are well within documented lines and are also willing to admit it.

<<<What's your problem with question #3?>>>

"Its closed. A one word burp terminates the conversation, and discloses nothing about their character."

Only if the answer is no, which answer would in fact tell you something about the cpersonal core character of the lawyer.

If the answer is yes, there are immediate follow-up questions: when, how many, how were they/was it resolved, etc.

"I still wonder if he actually has anything of substance... or was this just a seagull posting?"

I will chalk this series of posts off to a bad week or forgetting some emoticons, but your tone in this thread has been bordering on insulting to someone with whom you have friendly bantered for years on TMF.

Still curious how most of your suggested questions reveal anything about the core character of the lawyer?

JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement