Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/7/1999 7:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I got the IRS e-file brochure and ECN and I was thinking of using it. Having completed my return on Turbo-tax I see that this would actually cost me $9.95. I just don't see the advantage (unless you have a refund coming.) File now, pay later is a nice feature this year as is the fact that you don't need to mail in any W2s or other documents. I can pay later by mailing in April. I am glad the IRS is trying to be more efficient but it seems like electronic filers should be getting a discount for helping them rather than paying fees.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9717 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/7/1999 10:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Here-Here!!!!!

Author: gp703 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9731 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/8/1999 8:59 AM
<I got the IRS e-file brochure and ECN and I was thinking of using it. Having completed my return on Turbo-tax I see that this would actually cost me $9.95. I just don't see the advantage (unless you have a refund coming.) File now, pay later is a nice feature this year as is the fact that you don't need to mail in any W2s or other documents. I can pay later by mailing in April. I am glad the IRS is trying to be more efficient but it seems like electronic filers should be getting a discount for helping them rather than paying fees. >

ataloss,

It is not the IRS charging the $9.95. Intuit is charging the $9.95 to forward the return. One advantage is that you are sure the return hasn't been lost in the mail on the way there.

GP

Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9761 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/8/1999 4:03 PM
<<One advantage is that you are sure the return hasn't been lost in the mail on the way there.>>

I understand that Intuit is charging the $9.95, but if the IRS really wanted me to do this I think that I should get a $9.95 tax credit. I can send the return as registered mail. The IRS could (I would think) arrange some sort of interface so that I could transmit directly.If IRS couldn't handle TurboTax files they could require some sort of conversion utility. They could approve certain tax programs for this. Of course, any non-compliat tax software would be off the market.

Author: gp703 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9769 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/8/1999 6:35 PM
< I understand that Intuit is charging the $9.95, but if the IRS really wanted me to do this I think that I should get a $9.95 tax credit. I can send the return as
registered mail. The IRS could (I would think) arrange some sort of interface so that I could transmit directly.If IRS couldn't handle TurboTax files they could require some sort of conversion utility. They could approve certain tax programs for this. Of course, any non-compliat tax software would be off the market.>

Let's see if we can add up what the IRS has saved you: mainly a trip to the post office and sending of a certified letter. Around here that would be a good hour of time and $2.40 for postage. For me, that $9.95 is a bargain. Not to mention my refund shows up in 7-10 working days.

I am curious to hear from the tax preparers how much they charge for the electronic filing or is it included in their fees.

GP

Author: smillns Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9790 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/8/1999 11:23 PM
Re: E-file What's the point?
$9.95 may be adequate compensation for your trip to the post office and the cost of certified mail, but are you forgeeting that you still have to mail Form 8453 (with W2's, 1099's, etc. attached)and also Form 1040V (if you owe money),

For me, I'll put $0.33 postage on the envelope, put it in my own mailbox (the USPS has yet to let me down)and pocket the $9.95. Especially since I didn't make an interest free loan to Uncle Sam and I owe.

Your idea of the IRS giving a $9.95 tax credit is appealing when you consider that they want me to use my equipment to save them money (personnel costs to receive and input my tax data) and costly mistakes and I still have to send in forms by mail. It's time for the IRS to get rid of charging to E-File.

Author: gp703 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9799 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/9/1999 6:33 AM
<$9.95 may be adequate compensation for your trip to the post office and the cost of certified mail, but are you forgeeting that you still have to mail Form 8453 (with W2's, 1099's, etc. attached)and also Form 1040V (if you owe money),>

Not really, The IRS gave me a PIN number which I submitted with my return. So I saved my trip to the Post Office.

< For me, I'll put $0.33 postage on the envelope, put it in my own mailbox (the USPS has yet to let me down)and pocket the $9.95. Especially since I didn't make an interest free loan to Uncle Sam and I owe.>

Maybe you live in a better Postal Area than I do, but they still can't get the fact that the house on the next street isn't mine. I switched to electronic banking because of the time it takes them to get a payment delivered.

< Your idea of the IRS giving a $9.95 tax credit is appealing when you consider that they want me to use my equipment to save them money (personnel costs to receive and input my tax data) and costly mistakes and I still have to send in forms by mail. It's time for the IRS to get rid of charging to E-File. >

Sorry, that wasn't my idea because the IRS doesn't charge this fee, Intuit (for TurboTax) does. IMHO $9.95 to make sure the return gets there on time and is enterred correctly is a bargain.

Author: Nizac One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9816 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/9/1999 1:06 PM
I am curious to hear from the tax preparers how much they charge for the electronic filing or is it included in their fees

I don't know about tax preparers, but the CD-ROM version of Kiplinger's TaxCut 1998 allows your first return to be filed for free (via mail-in rebate).

http://www.taxcut.com/taxcut/efile.html

Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9830 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/10/1999 12:39 AM
Yea, well don't try to call them, I mean Tax Cut OR Nelco, or whatever their name is. I spend 20 minutes on hold with Tax Cut, and was on hold with Nelco so long, I had to leave a message to have them return my call. 4 business days later they call back. Yea great service. Screw 'em.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9909 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/11/1999 12:52 AM
[[I got the IRS e-file brochure and ECN and I was thinking of using it. Having
completed my return on Turbo-tax I see that this would actually cost me $9.95.
I just don't see the advantage (unless you have a refund coming.)]]

That's really the only reason that I see also. And paying $9.95 just to save a few days on receiving your refund may be a high price to pay (when you compute the average percentage rate).

[[ File now, pay
later is a nice feature this year as is the fact that you don't need to mail in any
W2s or other documents. I can pay later by mailing in April. I am glad the IRS is
trying to be more efficient but it seems like electronic filers should be getting a
discount for helping them rather than paying fees.]]

You would think so...wouldn't you.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9931 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/11/1999 2:05 AM
[[It is not the IRS charging the $9.95. Intuit is charging the $9.95 to forward the
return. One advantage is that you are sure the return hasn't been lost in the mail
on the way there.]]

But you can do exactly the same thing...using certified mail - return receipt requested. For much less than $9.95.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9956 of 121599
Subject: Re: E-file What's the point? Date: 2/11/1999 3:27 AM
[[ am curious to hear from the tax preparers how much they charge for the
electronic filing or is it included in their fees.]]

I don't offer e-filing in my practice. But from the other preparers that I speak with I hear ranges from $25 to $35 dollars to e-file.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement