Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121261  
Subject: E-filing question Date: 4/13/2001 4:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I e-filed my taxes this year using TurboTax and am getting a little money back. Last year I was in the exact same situation, but I had to take the additional step of mailing my W2 forms, along with a form stating that I had done e-filing.

This year, I got no such forms when I had finished. So I searched around until I found this on the IRS web site.

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/tax_edu/faq/faq14-4.html

If I file electronically, what do I do with my W-2 forms?
Keep them in a safe place with a copy of your tax return. For general information about e-file, refer to Tax Topic 252, Electronic Filing.

I just want to make VERY SURE that I'm reading this correctly. I do not have to mail ANYTHING to them, and the fact that I don't send any "official" paperwork verifying my income will not trigger an audit. Right??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LeoKam Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50213 of 121261
Subject: Re: E-filing question Date: 4/13/2001 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I just got done E filing mine using Tax Cut. Their program notified me by e-mail that it was accepted by the IRS and then give me instructions
on where to click in the program to get my Declaration Control Number, printed out the forms to send along with my W-2's and the 8453-OL form which is suppose to be signed and sent with the other forms and W-2's when you file online. Not to alarm you, but go over the steps again in Turbo Tax to see if you missed any instructions when E filing.

Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50228 of 121261
Subject: Re: E-filing question Date: 4/13/2001 8:14 PM
You don't have to mail the IRS anything if you filed correctly and your return was accepted by the IRS. Your TurboTax program should have told you if it was accepted when you checked back a few days after filing. In prior years a paper signature had to be filed, but wasn't required this year. Instead the IRS used two numbers from your last return. If you used TurboTax and imported 1999 data to do your 2000 return, TurboTax automatically used them. No W-2 is needed to be filed and is in fact not wanted.

Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50229 of 121261
Subject: Re: E-filing question Date: 4/13/2001 8:37 PM
Check this page
http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/elec_svs/ss-pin.html
If you file correctly, you don't need to send the IRS anything.

Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50249 of 121261
Subject: Re: E-filing question Date: 4/14/2001 12:31 PM
You don't have to mail the IRS anything if you filed correctly and your return was accepted by the IRS. Your TurboTax program should have told you if it was accepted when you checked back a few days after filing. In prior years a paper signature had to be filed, but wasn't required this year. Instead the IRS used two numbers from your last return. If you used TurboTax and imported 1999 data to do your 2000 return, TurboTax automatically used them. No W-2 is needed to be filed and is in fact not wanted.

Thanks! I went over the web sites and the information from TT several times last night, and also looked over form 8453-OL, and concluded that I didn't have to mail anything. My return got accepted, and TT said I don't have any more to send, so I guess I'm clear.

Ahhh, good old internet. Every year I have a little less physical mail to worry about. It is nice. Now if only voting would be internetized by 2004...

Author: Mike20852 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50342 of 121261
Subject: Re: E-filing question Date: 4/16/2001 1:28 PM
I just got done E filing mine using Tax Cut. Their program notified me by e-mail that it was accepted by the IRS and then give me instructions
on where to click in the program to get my Declaration Control Number, printed out the forms to send along with my W-2's and the 8453-OL form which is suppose to be signed and sent with the other forms and W-2's when you file online. Not to alarm you, but go over the steps again in Turbo Tax to see if you missed any instructions when E filing.

Which program were you using? I e-filed as well and only had to send in the signature page and nothing else.

Mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement