UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: desidou Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 16444  
Subject: e-mail lists? & introduction Date: 5/7/2003 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey guys - I'm new to the board, but very excited to get to know everyone here! I'm a "hobby" type web developer. I took a web dev class as part of my degree program in college and since then, it's been an interest of mine, just not a career option (yet! I might be heading that way depending on what I can teach myself)

My DH and I host a few websites out of our basement (DSL line w/ static IP's) and have a few websites that we do volunteer work for and I keep getting the same question...

How can I capture and manage and e-mail list to send marketing information to customers without allowing everyone to see everyone else's e-mail addresses? The first option that comes into my head is to send out a note and bcc: everyone, but I know that there are more "professional" ways of doing it. The bcc: option works for our neighborhood newsletter, but there is a local sewing store that I frequent and I am volunteering my time to help them figure this out and get it set up.

In essence, what she'd like for the customers to do is to register with the site (provide their e-mail address) to receive periodic updates on classes they are offering and clubs that are forming and meeting at the store.

What software would you recommend? Is there a good way to do this without using "packaged software" (other than the bcc: method?)

Just to give you a brief background of my current skills: HTML, some light JavaScript, CSS....I wouldn't mind learning CGI, Perl and PHP -- I'd like to get into learning about DB access from the web. I think that will open up a ton of possibilities.

Hope that gives you a brief understanding of my background and what info I'm looking for. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or websites that you could recommend that might help me figure this out!

desidou
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement