Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: johnw2k Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 16  
Subject: E-Trade Bank Follies Date: 10/30/2009 4:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently dumped E-Trade Bank not because of fees but because they seem to be on the ropes. Their "6 times" national average interest on savings dropped to "3 times" then to 0.5% APY. Also my portfolio lost value to below their $12 trade threshold limit.

Those issues were understandable based on what I had agreed upon contractually and the nature of the economy but the deal breaker came recently when they 'froze' my HELOC based on a 'computer model' of home values in my area. For about 6 years I have paid substantially more than my minimun payment, was always on time, never even approached my credit limit and only used this account for major purchases; I also have an excellent credit score. They did not offer to reduce my credit limit but simply froze the account and sent me a letter that they would happily reconsider if I paid to have my home professionally appraised and essentially re-applied for the line of credit.

I wrote them back explaining that this was absurd and that if I was required to go to the effort to essentially re-apply that it would be with another lender. My letter remains unanswered and I have another HELOC at a better rate with another bank and without spending money on an appraiser. I'm fortunate to be nowhere near 'underwater' on the total debt load on my property, which as I explained to E-Trade could be easily discerned from my credit report which they were authorized to access. Beyond that there's Google Street View or I would be happy to allow THEM to pay for an appraisal if they wished.

Now all they have is my frozen HELOC, which I will pay off in compliance with the original terms; the savings which they held went to AMEX Savings and the securities went to Scottrade (which they did for free). So I don't know what's up with ET but I would advise whoever is left there to make for the exits... :(
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement