Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: greenchutney Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 636  
Subject: Earlier diagnosis kidney cancer Date: 5/21/2008 11:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Abdominal imaging behind trend toward earlier diagnosis of kidney cancer, researchers say.
MedPage Today (5/20, Neale) reported, "Renal cell carcinoma is being diagnosed earlier than it was more than a decade ago," according to a study published in the journal Cancer. Researchers found that the number "of cases diagnosed as stage I increased from 43 percent in 1993 to 57.1 percent in 2004 (P<0.001)," while "the percentage of cases diagnosed as stage II, III, or IV decreased significantly (P<0.001)" during the same time period. Of the "205,963 patients 18 and older who were diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma from 1993 through 2004," the researchers found that "50.6 percent were diagnosed with stage I disease, 26.7 percent with stage II or III, and 22.7 percent with stage IV." They attributed "the trend toward earlier diagnosis" to "the increasing use of abdominal imaging, which catches tumors in scans for other diseases."

I referred to this trend in an earlier post based on personal experience and this study supports it. Bear this in mind when Exelixis reports results for XL880 and other drugs for later stage kidney cancer. Also remember kidney cancer is still not very common. No need to rush out and get a CT scan (or hire a cancer sniffing dog http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26667262 ).

greenchutney
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement