Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Early in 2002, I made a $3000 contribution to my traditional ira.

Late 2002, I was covered by employer retirement plan.

If I convert the entire balance of the traditional ira to a Roth, should I consider the $3000 (02) contribution to be a nondeductible contribution?

If this contribution is nondeductible then it is added to my basis?

Yes, it's added to your basis. But I don't think that you really want to convert your traditional IRA. Semantics are important here.

If you convert your traditional IRA to a Roth, you would treat the original contribution based on your income and your coverage by an employer's retirement plan. If you deduct the traditional IRA contribution, then you have to recognize the entire balance in the IRA as income on the date you convert, assuming that you have never made any non-deductible contributions in the past. If you don't deduct the contribution, you would only recognize as income any increase in the IRA since the contribution was made earlier in the year, assuming that you have no other traditional IRA accounts.

Those assumptions are rather big ones, but if you meet them both, then it won't really matter whether you deduct your traditional contribution or not. Essentially, you'll pay tax on any earnings in the account since the contribution was made.

But I think what you really want to do is recharacterize your contribution as a Roth contribution. This gets you a different result. It treats the contribution as if it had always been to a Roth IRA. By recharacterizing, you won't have to pay tax on any of the earnings in the IRA since the original contribution.

This would also be important if you have another IRA account besides this one. Assuming that you make too much to deduct a traditional IRA, then you would have no choice but to make a non-deductible traditional IRA contribution. Then if you convert this IRA, you would have to pick up a prorated portion of all of your IRA accounts. You would get no deduction, but you would only recover a portion of the $3000 non-deductible contribution. You'd pay tax on more than just the earnings in this account.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.