UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: orangeblood Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Early IRA withdrawal *seems* simple Date: 3/28/1998 4:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It seems to me that if I have enough money to retire, I don't have to worry about not being 59 1/2 in order to tap my IRA funds penalty-free.

Let me provide my reasoning:

Theoretical example-- At the age of 50, I have $800,000 saved in an IRA. I calculate that if I withdraw about 4% per year, or $32,000, I will be able to live comfortably *and* let my nest egg continue to grow.

However, of the 3 IRS-approved methods for no-penalty early withdrawal, one would provide me only about $20,000/year (too little), the others $69,000 and $72,000 (too much).

*But*, using one of the last two methods, why not split the IRAs and put just enough into one account to pay me what I wish? According to a financial planner's web site I happened upon:

http://www.kathleenmiller.com/CashArticle.html

"There is no requirement that all of your IRA accounts have to be aggregated in calculating the required withdrawal. Absent such a requirement, you can simply split the (in my case, $800,000) into two IRA accounts and move into the second account just enough cash to yield an annual payment of (in my case $32,000)... that would give you the ($32,000) you need and still allow you to escape the 10 percent penalty.

The IRS has issued a private ruling indicating the IRA accounts do not have to be aggregated for this purpose. While a private ruling can be relied on only by the taxpayer who requested it, such a ruling is an indication of the IRS's thinking on the question at issue."

So, if I'm able and willing to live on the same yearly income for ten years until I'm 59 1/2 (at which point I will be able to withdraw normally without penalty), can anyone find anything wrong with this?

Wondering,

orangeblood
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement