Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
question: i don't own a home or any of the other great things that would allow me to itemize my deductions. with the allowable deductions that go with a standard deduction(student loan interest, IRA contributions) i still owe $700 in taxes this year.

my wife and i transferred over her 403b this past year to an IRA (no income taxes were taken out).

i learned that this transfer, since no taxes were taken out, does not count as a contribution.

i don't have $700 laying around and would need to set up a payment plan, otherwise i would contribute another $700 to the IRA and deduct the rest of my tazes owed.

so, here's my plan: withdraw cash from the IRA and pay the penalities, then turn right around and contribute $700 that is deductible. i'd only take out about $400 and pay the rest from what i have saved up.

so my question after all that is:
is this the sensible thing to do? even though i am paying penalities, isn't a penalty on $400 better than paying all $700 to the government with interest on top of it?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.