Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tdevitt Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Early Retirement Date: 4/9/2000 3:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently find myself without a job at age 56; job abolishment! My wife and I have $600,000; which includes $220,000 in a 401k plan, the rest is in real estate which we intend to sell soon and invest the (what's left after capital gains) money into a couple of mutual funds (First Hand Tech., Dredsner Global Tech and maybe some stocks). We also have 2 homes; one of which we will rent out. What would you advise in this situation? Any suggestions??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3455 of 19257
Subject: Re: Early Retirement Date: 4/9/2000 8:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<< I recently find myself without a job at age 56; job abolishment! My wife and I have $600,000; which includes $220,000 in a 401k plan, the rest is in real estate which we intend to sell soon and invest the (what's left after capital gains) money into a couple of mutual funds (First Hand Tech., Dredsner Global Tech and maybe some stocks). We also have 2 homes; one of which we will rent out. What would you advise in this situation? Any suggestions?? >>

Before you do anything else, consider health insurance availability and cost. Assuming your wife is near your age, you both have a long haul until Medicare is available. An uninsured medical problem could wipe out a significant portion of your assets in a heartbeat.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: dory36 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3456 of 19257
Subject: Re: Early Retirement Date: 4/9/2000 8:22 AM
Also take a look at the Early Retirement board, at http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?id=1380025000952000 and the Retire Early homepage, at http://www10.geocities.com/WallStreet/8257/reindex.html for a huge amount information about these topics.

Good luck!

Dory36

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3460 of 19257
Subject: Re: Early Retirement Date: 4/9/2000 12:35 PM
Your general question probably generated more questions. Are you going to continue to work and/or get rent income? Have you thought about your assets potential in other vehicles? Rate of return and such. What is your risk aversion level?If in the rental business, will you hold the property for X amount of time and sell buy more and the cost?

Tigerman

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement