No. of Recommendations: 1
Texas Universities Now Pay You to Leave!

Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

This year's graduating class is the first eligible for the $1,000 bonus. The University of Houston reported that so far, only one student applied for his money. Perhaps he's a budding early retiree. <grin>

See link:

http://www.khou.com/news/stories/7633.html
Print the post Back To Top
<<Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

This year's graduating class is the first eligible for the $1,000 bonus. The University of Houston reported that so far, only one student applied for his money. Perhaps he's a budding early retiree. <grin>
>>

Intercst, I think you have told us you graduated with your engineering degree in three years, saving yourself a year of tuition and gaining a year of pay and promotions in the process.

That sounds like a better strategy to early retirement than waiting for the government to hand you a check for $1,000!

Seattle Pioneer
Seattle Pioneer writes,

<<Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

>>

Intercst, I think you have told us you graduated with your engineering degree in three years, saving yourself a year of tuition and gaining a year of pay and promotions in the process.

That sounds like a better strategy to early retirement than waiting for the government to hand you a check for $1,000!

Why not do both?

Many farmers and large corporations get all kinds of subsidies from the gov't and experience no guilt or shame in cashing the checks. I think students should do the same. <grin>

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Texas Universities Now Pay You to Leave!

Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

This year's graduating class is the first eligible for the $1,000 bonus. The University of Houston reported that so far, only one student applied for his money. Perhaps he's a budding early retiree. <grin>"

Yeah, they made a big stink about this in the student paper here at UT a couple of months ago because apparently the UT admin isn't informing people of the rule because they feel that a good college experience involves taking more than 3 hrs over the limit. At Texas A&M they really publicized it and a lot of people are going to get it. As for me, I have something like 40 hours over the limit, so I'm out...

st
That would have been a great thing for me had they offered it at Arizona State. As it was, I graduated with a double major and only 2 hours over the minimum requirements.

Boy did they give me a hard time when it came time to file for graduation - they actually tried to make me feel bad for carefully planning all of my courses so that I could get through the 2 degrees in 5 years. They had to keep adding it up and rechecking hour totals to make sure that I actually made it. One girl even commented that she had never seen anyone graduate with so few extra hours.
The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.

in other words, it prevents them from becoming engineering professors.....;^)

zay34kc3
That would have been a great thing for me had they offered it at Arizona State. As it was, I graduated with a double major and only 2 hours over the minimum requirements.

Boy did they give me a hard time when it came time to file for graduation - they actually tried to make me feel bad for carefully planning all of my courses so that I could get through the 2 degrees in 5 years. They had to keep adding it up and rechecking hour totals to make sure that I actually made it. One girl even commented that she had never seen anyone graduate with so few extra hours.

Is it just Arizona State? (Where I went -- gee, maybe there is a correlation between school attended and RE.) Or are most schools like that?

Vickifool
Advertisement