UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736145  
Subject: Early retirement from college Date: 3/30/2001 11:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Texas Universities Now Pay You to Leave!

Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

This year's graduating class is the first eligible for the $1,000 bonus. The University of Houston reported that so far, only one student applied for his money. Perhaps he's a budding early retiree. <grin>

See link:

http://www.khou.com/news/stories/7633.html
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35141 of 736145
Subject: Re: Early retirement from college Date: 3/31/2001 1:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

This year's graduating class is the first eligible for the $1,000 bonus. The University of Houston reported that so far, only one student applied for his money. Perhaps he's a budding early retiree. <grin>
>>

Intercst, I think you have told us you graduated with your engineering degree in three years, saving yourself a year of tuition and gaining a year of pay and promotions in the process.

That sounds like a better strategy to early retirement than waiting for the government to hand you a check for $1,000!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35166 of 736145
Subject: Re: Early retirement from college Date: 3/31/2001 12:12 PM
Seattle Pioneer writes,

<<Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

>>

Intercst, I think you have told us you graduated with your engineering degree in three years, saving yourself a year of tuition and gaining a year of pay and promotions in the process.

That sounds like a better strategy to early retirement than waiting for the government to hand you a check for $1,000!

Why not do both?

Many farmers and large corporations get all kinds of subsidies from the gov't and experience no guilt or shame in cashing the checks. I think students should do the same. <grin>

intercst

Author: SloanT Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35168 of 736145
Subject: Re: Early retirement from college Date: 3/31/2001 12:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
"Texas Universities Now Pay You to Leave!

Great story on the local news here in Houston. It seems that the State legislature passed a law in 1997 that gives a $1,000 check to any senior that graduates in 4 years with NO MORE than 3 credits over the minimum required for a degree. If you do extra work, no $1,000 bonus. (The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.)

This year's graduating class is the first eligible for the $1,000 bonus. The University of Houston reported that so far, only one student applied for his money. Perhaps he's a budding early retiree. <grin>"

Yeah, they made a big stink about this in the student paper here at UT a couple of months ago because apparently the UT admin isn't informing people of the rule because they feel that a good college experience involves taking more than 3 hrs over the limit. At Texas A&M they really publicized it and a lot of people are going to get it. As for me, I have something like 40 hours over the limit, so I'm out...

st

Author: RE2Golf Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35344 of 736145
Subject: Re: Early retirement from college Date: 4/3/2001 12:45 PM
That would have been a great thing for me had they offered it at Arizona State. As it was, I graduated with a double major and only 2 hours over the minimum requirements.

Boy did they give me a hard time when it came time to file for graduation - they actually tried to make me feel bad for carefully planning all of my courses so that I could get through the 2 degrees in 5 years. They had to keep adding it up and rechecking hour totals to make sure that I actually made it. One girl even commented that she had never seen anyone graduate with so few extra hours.

Author: zay34kc3 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35355 of 736145
Subject: Re: Early retirement from college Date: 4/3/2001 6:06 PM
The bonus is designed to prevent kids from becoming professional students and extending their college days well beyond 4 years.

in other words, it prevents them from becoming engineering professors.....;^)

zay34kc3

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35390 of 736145
Subject: Re: Early retirement from college Date: 4/4/2001 11:07 AM
That would have been a great thing for me had they offered it at Arizona State. As it was, I graduated with a double major and only 2 hours over the minimum requirements.

Boy did they give me a hard time when it came time to file for graduation - they actually tried to make me feel bad for carefully planning all of my courses so that I could get through the 2 degrees in 5 years. They had to keep adding it up and rechecking hour totals to make sure that I actually made it. One girl even commented that she had never seen anyone graduate with so few extra hours.

Is it just Arizona State? (Where I went -- gee, maybe there is a correlation between school attended and RE.) Or are most schools like that?

Vickifool

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement