UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gelhayek Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75807  
Subject: Early Roth Withdrawal but no gains Date: 1/16/2003 1:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've searched all over for an answer to this question but all examples assume you actually made money in your Roth account. I have not. Ie. my Roth is worth less than what I put in. So, if I ever need this money and want to withdraw, do I get penalized? All examples I see talk about penalizing gains.
Thanks,
g
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35567 of 75807
Subject: Re: Early Roth Withdrawal but no gains Date: 1/16/2003 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
my Roth is worth less than what I put in. So, if I ever need this money and want to withdraw, do I get penalized?

No, you won't be penalized because you may take your annual Roth IRA contributions at any time for any purpose free of taxes and penalty. Your Roth IRA is now worth less than the amount you contributed, so if you close it AND if it's the only Roth IRA you have, then you may even be eligible to deduct part of the loss of that contribution. To do so, you must list the loss in the Miscellaneous section of Schedule A where you itemize deductions on your tax return. To the extent you have a loss on your basis that exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income, then you might save a little on your income tax bill.

For details on claiming a loss, see page 62 of IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available for download at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/pubs.html.

Regards...Pixy

Author: gelhayek Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35568 of 75807
Subject: Re: Early Roth Withdrawal but no gains Date: 1/16/2003 3:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
You folks are amazing. Thanks so much for the information.
glen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement