UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: riverlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30912  
Subject: Earwigs on the Veggies Date: 6/8/2001 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Any suggestions for dealing with earwigs that attack basil, etc.? Diazinon is specific for them, but can't be use on food crops.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tfranklin Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3751 of 30912
Subject: Re: Earwigs on the Veggies Date: 6/8/2001 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Any suggestions for dealing with earwigs that attack basil, etc.? Diazinon is specific for them, but can't be use on food crops.

I'm not sure which diazinon label you read, but it can be used on vegetables. However, basil nor any other herbs are listed on the label as plants on which it can be used. Other insecticides labeled for vegetable and earwig control include liquid sevin and malathion. But neither of them list basil as a plant that can be sprayed.

What can you do? This is just a thought, not a recommendation. The longest harvest restriction I saw on the diazinon label was 14 days?, I think. You could spray and not harvest for that period of time.

A better solution would be to blast the basil plant with water, but not hard enough to damage the plant. This should knock most of the earwigs off onto the ground. Then immediately treat the ground around the plant with diazinon. This should take care of a lot of the earwigs. You may have to reapeat this treament several times.

Hope this helps,
Tony

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3755 of 30912
Subject: Re: Earwigs on the Veggies Date: 6/9/2001 12:23 PM
I think Diazinon imparts flavor to veggies. Its the nuclear weapon in your arsenal these days. I wouldn't use it unless necessary.

Sevin is safest for veggies. Malathion is not bad (if you don't mind the sulfur odor) and are willing to wait the 14 days before harvesting. It is among the more toxic to humans, but degrades to "harmless" products fairly quickly.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement