UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61310  
Subject: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/28/2013 11:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Eating more fiber, especially soluble fiber, helps avoid stroke.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/extra-fiber-for-str...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48623 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/28/2013 11:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
"Water soluble fiber — the kind found in beans, nuts and other foods — reduced the risk substantially, and insoluble fiber and cereal fiber reduced it slightly. Fruits and vegetables contain both types of fiber, though there was not enough data on those foods considered separately to draw valid conclusions about their effect. “We don’t know which form is the most beneficial,” said the senior author, Victoria J. Burley, a senior lecturer in nutritional epidemiology at the University of Leeds in England."

I used to really be into primatology, studying primates. While in high school I devoured every book and magazine article about primates I could get my hands on. I especially liked the stories in National Geographic about Jane Goodall and her Gombe Stream chimpanzee study.

One thing I notice about most primates, especially the larger ones, is that they eat a huge amount of leaves all day long. It's a major portion of their diet. I suspicion our early ancestors also ate a lot of leaves, or at least a lot more than we do. Leaves of all kinds, not just lettuce and spinach.

I also suspicion that adding a lot more leaves to our diet would probably be beneficial. The darker green, rougher, and more fibrous probably the better. I'm not a huge kale fan but I eat a little bit of it. I do like cabbage quite a bit and eat a lot of homemade cole slaw. I buy big bags of raw spinach and like to make salads out of that also.

Art

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48624 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/29/2013 12:13 AM
Recommendations: 4
Interesting study. Like many today, they depend on previous published research. They didn't actually take any data themselves. Eight previous studies were found that compiled some minimum set of data about fiber intake and stroke.

From the Abstract of the actual paper:

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/03/27/STROK...

. . . Methods—Multiple electronic databases were searched for healthy participant studies reporting fiber intake and incidence of first hemorrhagic or ischemic stroke, published between January 1990 and May 2012.

Results—Eight cohort studies from the United States, northern Europe, Australia, and Japan met inclusion criteria. Total dietary fiber intake was inversely associated with risk of hemorrhagic plus ischemic stroke, with some evidence of heterogeneity between studies (I2; relative risk per 7 g/day, 0.93; 95% confidence interval, 0.88–0.98; I2=59%). Soluble fiber intake, per 4 g/day, was not associated with stroke risk reduction with evidence of low heterogeneity between studies, relative risk 0.94 (95% confidence interval, 0.88–1.01; I2=21%). There were few studies reporting stroke risk in relation to insoluble fiber or fiber from cereals, fruit, or vegetables.

The data suggests that soluble fiber is more important than insoluble fiber. I had to look that up to figure out what foods should be important and what foods only provide insoluble fiber.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble...

. . .Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots. . .

Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins. . .

So it looks like living in the orange grove is a good thing.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48633 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/29/2013 10:15 AM
Recommendations: 3
The data suggests that soluble fiber is more important than insoluble fiber. I had to look that up to figure out what foods should be important and what foods only provide insoluble fiber. http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble......

. . .Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots. . .

Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins. . .

So it looks like living in the orange grove is a good thing.

Thanks for posting this. I was going to look up the difference myself. I am shocked at all the vegetables on the insoluble fiber list. There are many other benefits from both fibers. The insoluble remain high on my eating list. Besides the obvious benefits for your colon, fiber is subtracted from the carbohydrate count when controlling carbohydrates.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48658 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/30/2013 4:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
"While in high school I devoured every book and magazine article about primates I could get my hands on."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well, t'would count as cellulose.

Howie52

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48659 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/30/2013 6:24 PM
well, t'would count as cellulose.

I'm pretty sure that would be non-soluble fiber.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48661 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/30/2013 8:18 PM
Recommendations: 0
"well, t'would count as cellulose.

I'm pretty sure that would be non-soluble fiber. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Depends upon the acidity of the stomach.

Howie52
However, do alkalies attack paper more than acids?
It is the extremes as I recall - but I have not been in the
pulp and paper business for a while.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48677 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/31/2013 8:32 AM
alkalies

This looked funny to me, and my instinct turned out to be correct. The plural of alkali is alkalis.

=alstro, pretty good speller, but personally I wouldn't mind forgetting how to spell alkalis while remembering things of more immediate significance ;-)

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48686 of 61310
Subject: Re: Eat fiber to help avoid stroke Date: 3/31/2013 1:20 PM
Recommendations: 0
Maybe this is one of those words that can be spelled
differently in different circumstances?

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/15573/alkali

" Alkalies are strong bases that turn litmus paper from red to blue; they react with acids to yield neutral salts; and they are caustic and in concentrated form are corrosive to organic tissues. The term alkali is also applied to the soluble hydroxides of such alkaline-earth metals as calcium, strontium, and barium and also to ammonium hydroxide. The term was originally applied to the ashes of burned sodium- or potassium-bearing plants, from which the oxides of sodium and potassium could be leached."

Howie52
I was taught alkalies both at home and in the business - I worked at
a chlor-alkali facility - and designed a few bleach facilities as
well later on.

This is not to say that I have not been spelling things wrong all
my life and career.
But there is a bit of comfort that Britannica was convinced.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement