UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736224  
Subject: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/24/2013 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
According to nutritional wisdom, an apple a day can help keep your body healthy. Now researchers say it can also improve your state of mind.

A team from the psychology department at the University of Otago in New Zealand asked 281 young people to complete a 21-day online food diary.

At the end of the trial period, those who ate plenty of fruit and vegetables reported feeling calmer, happier and more energised. Those who ate junk food reported no difference in mood.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2267341/An-apple-d...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

t
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668108 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/24/2013 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"According to nutritional wisdom, an apple a day can help keep your body healthy. Now researchers say it can also improve your state of mind. A team from the psychology department at the University of Otago in New Zealand asked 281 young people to complete a 21-day online food diary. At the end of the trial period, those who ate plenty of fruit and vegetables reported feeling calmer, happier and more energised. Those who ate junk food reported no difference in mood." - tele
-------------------

Well I'll tell you one thing, when I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables I certainly feel better the next day! <grin!>

Art

Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668144 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/24/2013 4:32 PM
When I went off caffeine for good (the 2nd time), I found out that an apple in the morning helped relieve the headaches and helped combat the sluggishness that came with caffeine withdrawal. Other fruits did not have the same effect.

I drink 8 oz of mostly carrot juice mid morning and often put 1/2 an apple with it. Delicious!

Metal

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668397 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/26/2013 7:27 PM
At the end of the trial period, those who ate plenty of fruit and vegetables reported feeling calmer, happier and more energised. Those who ate junk food reported no difference in mood.

Since the start of the New Year, I've upped my intake of fruits and vegetables, while cutting out most junk, and I've noticed that my mood has indeed improved on average. Then a few days ago I decided to go on a little binge of potato chips and Chips Ahoy cookies, and before the evening was over I was cranky as all get out.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668400 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/26/2013 8:19 PM
BaronAndrew:"Since the start of the New Year, I've upped my intake of fruits and vegetables, while cutting out most junk, and I've noticed that my mood has indeed improved on average. Then a few days ago I decided to go on a little binge of potato chips and Chips Ahoy c

Today I had a half apple for breakfast along with my omelet.....1 egg, 2 eggbeaters......with a roma tomato, some cheddar cheese, and about 3 oz of ham chopped up and mixed in.....,.

Then had bowl of high fiber cereal for lunch with two handfuls of blueberries...after noon snack was a half banana

Dinner was a nice salad with 3oz of chicken cut up...warmed up the chicken......one tablespoon of ranch dressing.... carrots, tomato...spinach leaves..... and had an avocado cut up...delicious....

that and a couple cups of water.......

fighting a cold......sniffles...sore throat...... talked too much last Saturday and got sore throat....and Wed came down with light cold....hope it is over soon.......

Well..that was my day...lots of veggies..not too much junk food....

But tomorrow is Sunday and it is off to Dennys for their Value Slam - pancakes, butter, two eggs over easy..bacon....coffee......while I read the big Sunday paper..... and later half a pizza for dinner.....but I'll eat salad with the pizza.... only eat half of a small pizza and save it for one slice a day for 4 days...

So sun today....50 deg and dreary..didn't even go outside the house.

t.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668402 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/26/2013 8:50 PM
Dinner was a nice salad with 3oz of chicken cut up...warmed up the chicken......one tablespoon of ranch dressing.... carrots, tomato...spinach leaves..... and had an avocado cut up...delicious....

Dinner today was excellent, the presentation was like a TV show

It is about 20 degrees outside and I threw some Pork Chops on the grill(let them sit in some soy sauce, sherry, garlic onion, rosemary and crushed red pepper to marinate) when I took them off the grill and walked them back into the house it was like a commercial with the steam rising off them, they tasted great too, some asparagus I had frozen and a nice mixed salad with some Gorgonzola -- dinner was excellent today

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668403 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/26/2013 8:57 PM
a nice mixed salad with some Gorgonzola --
---------------

We went out to dinner with a friend and she had Gorgonzola cheesecake. She gave us a bite. It was good! We decided there was a tiny slice of Gorgonzola on the bottom next to the crust. The rest was normal cheesecake. Sounds like something you'd like.

arrete

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668404 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/26/2013 9:00 PM
potato chips--BaronAndrew

Potato chips are my binge food--Lay's Kettle Potato Chips, original. Sometimes Safeway has them on sale two bags for the price of one.
Grrrrrr.

When I give in and buy them I tell myself I will have only 12 chips at a time--with a sandwich or some kind of avocado or bean dip--and make a bag last for months.

It never works. After the sun goes down the demons come out and before the night is over they totally win. I never feel cranky though or even like I have eaten too much. And while binging away I feel wonderful. They are so delicious. I think I was meant to eat potato chips. I do try to be a little careful with portions of other foods the next couple of days and usually I can also resist buying them for a few months too after a greedy binge.

I can also go a little wild with a big bag of salted peanuts in the shell in that once I start it is hard to quit. But it is chips that are my true downfall.

I have always eaten lots of fruits and vegetables. And now, with my Vitamix, I eat even more. Yum. So good. It is comforting to be able to binge on them and never feel the least bit guilty.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668407 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/26/2013 9:22 PM
Potato chips are my binge food--Lay's Kettle Potato Chips, original. Sometimes Safeway has them on sale two bags for the price of one.
Grrrrrr.
-----------

Isn't it weird we all have different binge foods? I really don't care about potato chhips. Never have. Corn chips, now ...

arrete

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668412 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/26/2013 11:43 PM
Binge tiome! Tostito's chips 'n fresh salsa!

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668416 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 12:21 AM
"After the sun goes down the demons come out and before the night is over they totally win. I never feel cranky though or even like I have eaten too much. And while binging away I feel wonderful. They are so delicious." - catmeyoo

Does there ever come a time in our lives where we can forget all that and just eat? Quit worrying about it? Why does it have to be such a pain? I mean think about it, in other parts of the world they worry if they are going to get to eat at all and over here we got to worry about eating too much? There is something wrong with this scenario.

Why do we have to like wait till we got cancer and are at death's door before we can like say the hell with it and just eat whatever the hell we want to? It makes no sense at all. Why can't we just live?

Art

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668422 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 2:03 AM
Recommendations: 3
Does there ever come a time in our lives where we can forget all that and just eat? Quit worrying about it? Why does it have to be such a pain? I mean think about it, in other parts of the world they worry if they are going to get to eat at all and over here we got to worry about eating too much? There is something wrong with this scenario. --Art

I know--it is like we must wear a hair shirt in the midst of our pleasure. It is hard for people who have too much of everything to be happy. You know what makes me happy? Listening to a song I like.

Tonight I was about to listen to a Chris Smither live album (I'm down to the "s"es in my Americana cd section indexing project) and the last song on the album was "Killin' the Blues" I hoped it would be Rowland Salley's great "Killing the Blues" song that Robert Plant and Alison Krauss sing on their Raising Sand album, and indeed it was, so that was exciting. I now have 4 renditions of it--three called "Killing the Blues" and then Smither's album calling it "Killin' the Blues" but for indexing I'm going with "Killing. . ." which seems to be used more often than "Killin'". When I get to indexing my blues albums perhaps I'll have even more renditions. Hooray.

Deciding how to alphabetize the title of a song makes me happy. My other two versions of the song (so far) are by John Prine for one and Malcolm Holcombe for another.

Here's Lurie and Plant. You can see T. Bone Burnett, producer of Raising Sand (as well as music mastermind of O Brother Where Art Thou), and Buddy Miller in the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acX_2zkA0KA

I love Plant's voice, today as much as yesterday. That album has so many great songs on it, including two by Gene Clark. It won best album of the year in 2007 or 08. Burnett tried to pick great songs that weren't too well known, sent tons of them to Lurie and Plant to make final selections.

I’m so happy to see Plant doing Americana albums and songs these days, plus he did two great songs on a double disc tribute album to Fats Domino too. It is great fun to follow the entire careers of some of these musicians--that must have been how my mother felt about Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughan, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald--the way I feel about Robert Plant, Bob Dylan, Mick Jaeger/Keith Richards, John Fogerty, Johnny Cash (felt), Merle Haggard, Leonard Cohen.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Plant and the rest of Led Zeppelin get the Kennedy Center Awards too—and Letterman. I hardly ever watch Letterman even though I love him. I have the feeling that once he retires I will be regretting I didn’t watch when I could.

I didn’t have to feel that way about Johnny Carson. My ex-husband and I lived together for a number of years in Denver and almost every night he liked to get in bed and watch Johnny Carson. So that was hundreds of shows including the guest host shows. I wonder if Letterman ever has a guest host. I don’t think so.

It seems strange to some people to marry and then stay friends with ex-husbands and even live with them again. After marriage friendships happened to me with both my husbands and doesn’t seem in the least strange. I find it strange that people love each other and marry and then before you know it they hate each other completely.

My second husband and I were best friends the years after we divorced, and I really liked his last girl friend too—-we all palled around together, not to mention there was our son. It was great that we all got along. Plus during the two years he was sick and dying with cancer we all went through it together and it was a great source of help and comfort for everyone.

My first husband and I divorced quickly in California but then later got together in Denver and lived together a couple years. He had graduated from Stanford by that time, I had graduated from Library School. He was attending law school in Denver and I was fulfilling my obligation to the State Library for paying my library school tuition by working for 2 years at Denver Public Library.

We could have been a movie out of the 50s--the Law School Student and the Librarian. Every weeknight we went to bed at 11:30 and watched Johnny Carson until 1am. That part of the movie might have been pretty boring for an audience. Then off I went to San Francisco to liven things up.

The End

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668423 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 2:10 AM
Does there ever come a time in our lives where we can forget all that and just eat?

Sure, but I try not to eat garbage (such as Ramen noodles) if I can avoid it.

Discovered this magazine at the hair salon. It's filled with tasty-looking recipes.

Clean Eating Magazine
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668434 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 9:17 AM
"It seems strange to some people to marry and then stay friends with ex-husbands and even live with them again. After marriage friendships happened to me with both my husbands and doesn’t seem in the least strange. I find it strange that people love each other and marry and then before you know it they hate each other completely.

My second husband and I were best friends the years after we divorced, and I really liked his last girl friend too—-we all palled around together, not to mention there was our son. It was great that we all got along. Plus during the two years he was sick and dying with cancer we all went through it together and it was a great source of help and comfort for everyone." - catmeyoo

---------------------------

Oh! I didn't realize you got divorced from both your husbands. I thought you stayed married to your second husband until he died of cancer. I was confused since you talked about him like he was your husband till the end. So you experienced "separation" with him two or three different times. Your relationships must have been stormy for that to happen.

People's lives sure are interesting. We've been watching Parenthood on Netflix and now we are catching up on Season 4 of Parenthood On Demand. That is what it's all about too. Must be something in being human that makes watching other people's lives interesting.

"I hoped it would be Rowland Salley's great "Killing the Blues" song that Robert Plant and Alison Krauss sing on their Raising Sand album, and indeed it was, so that was exciting."

I've got that album. I think I've got pretty much all of Alison Krauss's CD's. I keep them in the kitchen and listen to them while I'm cooking and/or doing the dishes. I've got a CD player on the other side of the kitchen and sometimes when Bonnie comes home from work I'll be in there just rockin away to my country music.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668435 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 9:19 AM
"Sure, but I try not to eat garbage (such as Ramen noodles) if I can avoid it. Discovered this magazine at the hair salon. It's filled with tasty-looking recipes." Clean Eating Magazine, http://www.cleaneatingmag.com - Catherine
------------------------

Good for you Catherine. I hope you live to be a 120 years old.

Art

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668452 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 10:07 AM
We went out to dinner with a friend and she had Gorgonzola cheesecake. She gave us a bite. It was good! We decided there was a tiny slice of Gorgonzola on the bottom next to the crust. The rest was normal cheesecake. Sounds like something you'd like.

Sounds funky, but who knows.

What I want to try that I read about recently is when making an apple pie, you but a layer of almond paste over the bottom crust before filling the pie.

I am going to do that next time I make pies, though it may impact that delightful taste of apple seeping into crust, but I like my pies tart, and using a little less sugar and letting the almond paste cover it sounds interesting.

I hate when it gets cold, and the mind turns to excuses to turn the over on<grin>

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668459 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 11:05 AM
Good for you Catherine. I hope you live to be a 120 years old.

For me, it's more a matter of staying healthy and feeling well until I die, even if it's only 75 years old. I have no wish to live to 120.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668477 of 736224
Subject: Re: Eat your apples..... Date: 1/27/2013 12:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
Grrrrrr.

When I give in and buy them I tell myself I will have only 12 chips at a time--with a sandwich or some kind of avocado or bean dip--and make a bag last for months.

It never works. After the sun goes down the demons come out and before the night is over they totally win. I never feel cranky though or even like I have eaten too much. And while binging away I feel wonderful. They are so delicious. I think I was meant to eat potato chips. I do try to be a little careful with portions of other foods the next couple of days and usually I can also resist buying them for a few months too after a greedy binge.

I can also go a little wild with a big bag of salted peanuts in the shell in that once I start it is hard to quit. But it is chips that are my true downfall.
catmeyoo
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
wow, this is right on target for me today. I've been slipping and sliding on my food plan since the 1st wk of Dec. I didn't have any problems while my Sweetum's and that fellow were ill and the fellow dying which fits in with putting my priorities in perspective, feeling my feelings and dulling any food cravings. But afterwards though, the need to numb out come roaring back. It's insidious, I just want more and more and more and more, like a bottomless pit which after all that carb overload leave me depressed and lethargic and craving even more.

Yesterday, I finished off the croutons that I had portioned out for my salads. I did alright for awhile but past experience has taught me I can only do the packaged salads with croutons in a little bag.

I was at the gym yesterday and a friend told me about a mutual friend's husband, 51 yrs. old, who before Xmas, had chest pains, difficulty breathing, went to the hospital and did a quadruple bypass and they found more damage and they did a heart transplant. The friend who told me, I've known she and her husband for yrs at the gym, they are foodies and they've gain back a lot of weight the past couple of yrs even though they exercise, the extra calories is too much. You can't exercise off poor nutrition/excess calories....not like that. Both of them said after hearing about this guy, it made them change their food as of Jan. 2 and they have lost some wgt. The guy's LDL is off the charts so he has extra incentive to change.

I have extra incentive to change because I know where my binge eating takes me, higher weight, more stress on knees and back-more pain, lower self esteem and that hopeless feeling when clothes are tight and I have to buy new ones. It's a lifelong addiction and I'll always have to be careful of what I bring into the house and what I eat out of the house.

It may be all an illusion but I have pictures of me at 300 lbs. and various other weights as well.....that serve as reminders of where my indulgences can lead me to.

LuckyDog

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement