Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Documama Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58666  
Subject: Eating Out Date: 1/2/2003 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
One of my biggest challenges is eating out. My work schedule (I'm a massage therapist) has me on the road 2 or 3 days a week. When possible, I pack a lunch but it's not always possible to eat a packed lunch. So, it's off to restaurants (I'm getting better at avoiding McD's).

Today I stopped at a TGI Fridays that was between clients. I ordered a grilled pesto chicken sandwich. It came with fries. I immediately put half the fries on a small plate and moved them away from me. I only ate half the sandwich. I was still full.

And that was 15 points! For those of you not familiar with Weight Watchers, that's half my points for the day! Since I'd had oatmeal for breakfast (6 points with the milk and blueberries), that left me with a whopping ... 8 points for dinner.

Now, I'm usually more than 8-points-hungry at dinner.

I just can't get over how difficult it is to eat at a restaurant for 10 points or so. I don't always want to order salads (not like they're much safer in these restaurants). Often I want something warm and soft/chewey (since I spend so much time giving to other people through massage, I often find myself using my meals as little times to nurture myself).

Has anyone had any sustained success with eating at restaurants?

Kelly
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34476 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/2/2003 10:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Kelly,

I haven't eaten at TGI Fridays in a long time, but they used to have some really tasty salads listed in their lighter fare section.

This time of year, you could put half the meal in a doggy bag and keep it in the car and it would still be good come dinnertime.

I am fortunate enough to work in an office building with a kitchen on every floor, so I bring my lunch and pop it in the fridge. You have a problem, with being on the road, so to speak.

How about carrying fruit and veggies in the car? They should keep nicely this time of year. And you could use those to keep you from being famished when you stop to eat.

Good luck!

Verna

Author: auntninn Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34477 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/2/2003 10:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
Has anyone had any sustained success with eating at restaurants?

Not to sound like a Jared clone, but Subway is my best choice eating out. I get the club with no cheese and sweet onion vinagrette: 5 points if you don't get mayo.

I don't know where you are, but we also have Baja Fresh and their taco plate (I get two shrimp tacos with beans and rice) is 5 points according to their web site.

Chinese restaurants, get simple chicken and veggies. Or egg drop soup is low in points.

When I worked on the road a lot I packed a ton of fresh fruit in a cooler. Cut up melon in particular was great, since it kept me from being dehydrated, too.

Good luck. It's a tough one.

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34478 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/2/2003 10:28 PM
I just can't get over how difficult it is to eat at a restaurant for 10 points or so. I don't always want to order salads (not like they're much safer in these restaurants).

Here are some suggestions for restaurant eating:

Naked baked potato instead of fries.
Skip the bread on the sandwich.
Side orders of vegetables. Remember, plain veggies are no points.
Consider the occassional "substitute meal" -- a meal bar, piece of fruit, and some veggies. You can eat it in the car if you have too.
Subway has a lot of good choices.
Soup. Souper Salad is a good choice, even if you don't want salad.
Basically, anywhere that you can tell them exactly what to put on your food is a good choice because you can leave off cheese, crutons and the like.
You might have more luck at lunch places instead of sit down restaurants.
You can find some smaller restaurants that offer good choices -- we have one that I try to get to when I'm in the area called Low Fat No Fat. It might be worthwhile looking at some of the local places to see if any of them have good menus.

Often I want something warm and soft/chewey (since I spend so much time giving to other people through massage, I often find myself using my meals as little times to nurture myself).

I figured out that I was looking forward to meals out as a break. Now I know I can have a quick sandwich and then still take a break; curl up with a book or go for a nice walk somewhere. What other things could you do for a break aside from a heavy meal?

-Megan

Author: Documama Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34481 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/3/2003 7:22 AM
Recommendations: 1
I figured out that I was looking forward to meals out as a break. Now I know I can have a quick sandwich and then still take a break; curl up with a book or go for a nice walk somewhere. What other things could you do for a break aside from a heavy meal?

That is exactly what I need out of these meals is a break. Eating in my car only makes my day feel more harried and makes me feel more deprived. I want to sit down and have somebody else serve me.

So, that's the question I'm still working on: what other things can I do for a break besides a heavy meal? That's the question I'll ponder for now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Kelly

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34482 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/3/2003 8:41 AM
That is exactly what I need out of these meals is a break. .....I want to sit down and have somebody else serve me.

You could try just side dishes.
This lets you have (almost) exactly what you want, and is sometimes less expensive. Mexican Restaurants are a great place for this - a side order of lettuce/tomato and onions with a side of beans and green chile....make dip (yikes - chips) or a salad.

just veggies or a broth soup and a baked potato

Sometimes little "coffee shops" have a little limited menu of soup or wraps and they are a cozy relaxed place to take a break.

Or just ask the server - "I would like to order the grilled chicked pesto sandwich, but can I have applesauce or extra sliced tomato instead of fries and put half of the sandwich immediately into a to-go box. Thanks"
a good server will do these things for you- as well as letting you 'create' your own food. If you see the ingredients on the menu- (and the place isn't mobbed) - ask for what you want on your plate - and nothing else.

peace & breaks
t

who used to work in restaurants and was frequently happy to as the kitchen to oblige special requests.

Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34485 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/3/2003 12:38 PM
Recommendations: 6
Hi Kelly,

This is one thing that massage schools could learn to teach ... how to refresh yourself after giving so much of it away to clients! I find that after a massage, I don't drive very well, so I usually just go around the block and just sit and unwind/come back to myself for 5 minutes or so. For me, just grounding and recentering helps tremendously with getting back to me.

There are a lot of parks in the area. When the weather warms up, could you serve yourself a picnic? Just sit on a bench, eat slowly, watch kids play, flowers bloom, trees wave hello in the wind?

On the food route, I agree heartily with the Subway suggestion. No one serves you, but you get exactly what you want and you can sit down to eat it. If the line is too long and you're short on time, you can get fresh fruit, yogurt and decent sandwiches at 7-11.

After doing a day's worth of massage, I like to just eat very slowly. Be aware of every bite, taste every crumb or morsel. To me, massage is a gift of my body that I give to others. Give back yourself in what you eat, your fuel, your energy. You must refuel in order to continue to give. Take the time to enjoy it, savor what you give to yourself.

Even if you only have time to eat in your car, take off your seat belt, put the seat back, put on your favorite station, spread the napkin over your lap, breathe deep and enjoy your lunch. You can make eating as sensory as massage by inhaling the scent, experience the texture of what you're eating, take in the colors, depths, listen to the crunch it makes in your mouth, tasting every bit of it. Don't feel rushed, just be glad for the time you have.

Instead of eating, you could give back to yourself by taking 10-15 minutes to meditate, stretch, do a little tai chi or yoga, have a renewing conversation with a lively friend, find joy in your life by making a quick list of things you're grateful for, take a walk in a park (weather permitting), watch children play - they have such a way of being full of joie de vivre and untouched by reality. Of course, these are just things that work for me but since they do work for me, I would hope that one or two would work for you as well.

liss
hope this is helpful

Author: Documama Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34488 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/3/2003 2:09 PM
Liss!

I've been thinking of you! Wondering how life is going. My alma mater is holding classes now geared to helping MTs help re-charge their personal and professional batteries. And you get CEUs for it! ;) If you want the latest list of classes, give PMTI a call.

Your suggestions are really excellent. I was beginning to wonder if I was doing something wrong that massage wiped me out so much. I am probably not taking care of my energy as well as I can but I think it's also just a part of the job. It gets better with time but, oh, there are days when I just want to collapse (or eat my way through a 7-11 candy aisle) after a couple of massages.

And I can't chalk it all up to the physical nature of the job.

Ever figured out how many calories we burn during a massage? ;)

Kelly

Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34491 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/3/2003 3:22 PM
Ah, you know what they say, Kelly, if you think something is wrong with your massage, try it out on me and I'll let you know. ;o)

I'll be posting here shortly about my update and goals for the year. I'm winding down from the holidays. I'll call PMTI, thank you for the update on the classes. I know they have excellent classes there.

One of my teachesr always swore that a massage was an hour long low-impact aerobic activity but a calorie count was unforch, never mentioned! I have not done an hour long massage in way too long but usually I can do upto 3 back to back and then another 2 later in the day if I have a couple hours to rest. I have not tried to build up an endurance of more than 6/day, 4 days a week. Massage is phyiscally demanding and it's not what I depend on to pay the bills so I try not to exhaust myself. I want to always enjoy it and never be burnt out. I know that you do massage as your primary occupation, are you getting enough downtime between clients? Are you gentle with your body on your days off?

Did you learn about grounding and centering/energywork when you were in school? Chakras? Healing touch? Aside from bringing energy up from the ground, another way to increase energy is to exercise daily (did you need another reason? ;o)). Like love, more energy you give out, the more you have. Endorphins, metabolism and all that.

liss
really, there are apples, oranges and bananas at 7-11, stay away from the candy aisle! :o)

Author: Documama Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34495 of 58666
Subject: Re: Eating Out Date: 1/3/2003 5:44 PM
I know that you do massage as your primary occupation, are you getting enough downtime between clients? Are you gentle with your body on your days off?

Did you learn about grounding and centering/energywork when you were in school? Chakras? Healing touch? Aside from bringing energy up from the ground, another way to increase energy is to exercise daily (did you need another reason? ;o)). Like love, more energy you give out, the more you have. Endorphins, metabolism and all that.

Liss,

One of my on-going challenges is to give myself enough time between clients. I'm real good at that in my home office but it's tougher when I'm doing the on-site corporate massage. After two years, I'm still playing around to determine what the best schedule is for me.

I've learned a lot over the years (school and otherwise) about grounding, centering, energywork, chakras, etc. and its use in my practice. I'm not naturally drawn to energy work so I tend to under-utilitze what I know to be good habits in my practice. Another thing to get better about this year. :)

Kelly
yeah, I've heard rumors about the fruit and stuff at 7-11, but the candy aisle is so much prrrrrrrrettier and cooooooooolorful....

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement