UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: reikiman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 50181  
Subject: Re: finance programs for the Mac Date: 1/24/2002 1:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
Echoing the statement - in my case, I've been using and programming computers since 1972-3 and have programmed in 40+ languages on many OS's, which is to say I'm not a newcomer to computing. So, looking at the different trends in computing -- the thing that stands out is how totally dastardly and domineering that Microshaft is being. This article http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23777.html at The Register describes most of my sentiments about Microsoft very well, except that I've never been a DOS weenie like that author. In short, Microsoft is demanding exacting allegience to only their software, only their web services, to a peculiar form of licensing software, to privacy intrusions supposedly designed to enforcing the peculiar licensing -- and most outrageously, there is the continuing wave after wave of security bugs and continuing flakiness of MS Windows, for which every byte of responsibility is purely Microsofts, for which they are not taking proper responsibility.

In short there's a whole pile of reasons to dislike Microsoft's feeble attempts at software, for which if they weren't such cut-throat competitors they would be dead now because of the poor software.

My choice was, now that Macintosh is on a stable underlying operating system, to use OS X. I've never used a Mac before in my life, but for a few random moments here and there playing with the mouse and such. But here I am, typing away on my OS X system, happily laughing at all the virus reports and knowing they aren't going to affect me, etc. I haven't missed out on any software yet, though I am waiting for Adobe to finish porting their suite to OS X, but the OS 9 versions work reasonably well for now.

I'm not alone - I've been seeing comments from other geeks, and regular folk as well, saying they're considering OS X.

Finally, let me put in a plug for my favorite software platform. Java is nowadays an excellent language, having great reliability, and excellent speed. This isn't your grandfathers Java any more, the Java that is in most web browsers is highly old - especially since Microsoft hasn't been cooperating with Sun to update the Java in Internet Exploiter. If you develop with Java you don't even have to recompile to run the app on OS X, since OS X includes an up to date Java implementation. Your users will have to download a JRE from Sun, but that's not a big deal.

For personal finance, I'm using Moneydance (similar to Quicken) available from http://www.moneydance.com. The app is written in Java, and I heard that when the developer went to port to OS X he first copied the class files to OS X and they just ran unmodified. They're now developing on OS X primarily, and all the screen shots on the site are from OS X.

- David
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement