Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Re: wash sale Date: 2/24/2000 12:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
edcosoft writes (in part):

I presume you agree with the other part of my post?

I reply:

Yep. Your software does handle this situation correctly, doesn't it? ;-) --Bob

Boy, would I be embarrassed if it didn't, however, as you can imagine the computations and permutations of multiple Wash Sales and triggers of different amounts would make it impossible to create a program to actually make those adjustments. the ones that claim they do won't operate if you hold positions overnight. Therefor our D-1 program doesn't do the actual adjustment.

We just find virtually all the Wash Sales and triggers in each equity, arrange them in an order where you can easily spot the ones we miss, and our newest update will actually find ALL the Wash Sales (short and long) and show you where the FIFO Replacement Shares are, as well as quite a few later ones we found, and the ones you found, all on one screen for each equity. The user then follows the "Rules", splitting up the lots as necessary and enters the adjustments (or lets them ride in anticipation of not making any adjustments, or doing it later, or just adds up te amounts for his quarterly estimate). As you can imagine this could really get complicated if the program made the adjustments also, but we go from a random entry of stocks (long and short) and options and with two Macros do all the above for each equity you trade, and then after you make your adjustments and check them again, the program prints your D-1s for you, eliminates the closed trades from the prior year and keeps going with your open position and closed trades for the next current year!

I knew the Rule you corrected me on, but I got off on a different thought track when I wrote that. Sorry, but thanks for catching it and knowing we do have a D-1 program. It is not on our web site yet, but the old version is avilable if you e-mail us for it. Ed
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement