UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SnootFool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 78705  
Subject: Re: Spousal IRA Date: 2/24/1999 11:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1. Do we need to specifically ask for a "Spousal IRA" when opening this account with a financial
institution? In other words, are the forms different from those of a regular IRA? And if so, will most
institutions know what I am talking about?

No, No, and No. <grin>

2. What happens if the non-working spouse earns over the $250/year limit? Does this make the Spousal IRA invalid? If so, can it then be converted or rolled into a regular IRA in order to avoid taxes and penalties?
IIRC, the $250 limit on income only affects your spouse's status as working vs. non-working, but does not affect her (I'm guessing it's a she, eddie) ability to contribute $2K per year. What may be affected (don't quote me!) is her ability to deduct her contribution to a Trad. IRA if she is working. But if you contribute to a Roth, it's no factor since all Roth contributions are non-deductible anyway.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Book Review: Dream Big
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.