Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: VesperLynd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40755  
Subject: Edema Date: 9/2/2003 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

If an elderly person develops a case of edema, particularly in the lower legs and ankles, what kinds of conditions can this generally be a symptom of?

Thanks! VL
Print the post Back To Top
Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15584 of 40755
Subject: Re: Edema Date: 9/3/2003 6:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If an elderly person develops a case of edema, particularly in the lower legs and ankles, what kinds of conditions can this generally be a symptom of?

Classic symptoms of congestive heart failure (CHF). This can be treated with well documented therapy. Also, could be due to inadequate potassium in diet. The elderly person should seek care immediately to establish the cause and treatment.

OleDoc

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15585 of 40755
Subject: Re: Edema Date: 9/3/2003 9:47 PM
Recommendations: 0
My mother had that, it was congestive heart failure. There are good treatments for it, it's not as awful as it sounds. I've also heard of it relating to something about adrenal glands, and I get swollen ankles when I eat ham - I guess the sodium.

Author: NoHorses3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15586 of 40755
Subject: Re: Edema Date: 9/4/2003 8:19 AM
Recommendations: 2
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003104.htm

Painless swelling of the feet and ankles is a common problem, particularly in older people. It may affect both legs and may
include the calves or even the thighs. Because of the effect of gravity, swelling is particularly noticeable in the lower legs.

When the swollen area is squeezed, the fluid will move out of the affected area and may leave a deep impression for a
few moments.

Swelling of the legs is many times related to systemic causes (for example, heart failure, renal failure, or liver failure).

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of congestive heart failure--there are many causes for swollen legs and/or ankles. Swelling is a visual sign that something somewhere is not right, and the elderly person you mention should be seen by a doctor. Even lack of exercise I would think could cause edema especially if the person is sitting for long periods (such as in a wheelchair) and not propping the legs up. Exercises that move the fluid back up the legs; and/or support stockings might be all that's needed to control lower leg edema, but you need to find what's causing it.

Nancy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement