Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I contributed $500 to my son's Edu-IRA for year 2000. We just realized a capital gain in March which would put us over the $160000 AGI limit, assuming that we are luck enough to avoid significant capital loss later of the year. So I might have to withdraw the $500 and its earnings before April 15, 2001 from my son's Edu-IRA account.

My son is only three years old and does not need to file a return. Do I have to include the earnings of the $500 as our income on our joint return and pay capital gain tax on it or I don't have to report it at all? This is question #1.

Question #2: my son's grandparents have expressed interest in contributing to his Edu-IRA previously and their income is below the AGI limit. Are they allowed to contribute $500 to my son's Edu-IRA even though we could not to? If so, do they have to contribute to a seperate Edu-IRA account of his?

In practice, I could have given the grandparents $500 and ask them to contribute instead of me. Is this legal?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.