Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arosaen One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121323  
Subject: Education IRA Date: 8/13/2000 12:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello.

I'm 22 and don't have any kids (and probabyl won't for several years). Can I set up an education IRA right now with no beneficiary for my future kids' college education? I'd like to let compounding returns pay for much of it :)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38676 of 121323
Subject: Re: Education IRA Date: 8/13/2000 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm 22 and don't have any kids (and probabyl won't for several years). Can I set up an education IRA right now with no beneficiary for my future kids' college education?

Sorry, but no. The Ed IRA must have a beneficiary. In addition, that beneficiary must have an SSN, and the SSA doesn't issue speculative SSN's.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: jasm One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38679 of 121323
Subject: Re: Education IRA Date: 8/13/2000 3:41 PM
Sorry, but no. The Ed IRA must have a beneficiary. In addition, that beneficiary must have an SSN, and the SSA doesn't issue speculative SSN's.

It seems the way that Ed IRAs are desinged that one as young as he (22) could setup one for himself. I assume that you can contribute into a Ed IRA until age 30. For this to work out for him he would have to have his first child before age 30. At this time he can transfer the account to his childs SSN.

jasm

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38680 of 121323
Subject: Re: Education IRA Date: 8/13/2000 5:00 PM
It seems the way that Ed IRAs are desinged that one as young as he (22) could setup one for himself.

Nope. The beneficiary must be under 18.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: RiverCityFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38698 of 121323
Subject: Re: Education IRA Date: 8/14/2000 1:00 PM
No, you can't set up an education IRA until you have a child to set it up for.

However, you certainly can start saving as much as possible now to take advantage of the wonder of compounding -- max your 401B contributions, contribute to an IRA if you can, and start an index fund and automatically contribute to it each month.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38723 of 121323
Subject: Re: Education IRA Date: 8/14/2000 6:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<It seems the way that Ed IRAs are desinged that one as young as he (22) could setup one for himself. I assume that you can contribute into a Ed IRA until age 30. For this to work out for him he would have to have his first child before age 30. At this time he can transfer the account to his childs SSN.>>

Right...it SEEMS like a great idea. But as Phil points out, in order to make a contribution to an Ed IRA, the beneficiary must be under age 18.

So while the beneficiary can "hold" the funds until age 30, no additional contributions can be made after age 18.

So in this specific situation, the plan wouldn't work since the person asking the question is already well over age 18.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: drdoolittle Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39949 of 121323
Subject: Re: Education IRA Date: 9/14/2000 9:27 PM
MAKE YOURSELF BENEFICIARY OF A 529 PLAN as well as owner and change your beneficiary to your 1st child when you have their SS number. I;d recommend the program in Illinois!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement