Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58627  
Subject: Education vs. Will Power Date: 1/12/2005 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
I offer this post in the hopes that it might be helpul to someone who has struggled with the same issues.

Off and on, for more than twenty years, I tried to lose weight. I tried every new book that came out, every new diet, every trick, intensive exercise, but none of them worked for me because I failed to resolve the underlying issues - food as a reward and a mild addiction to sweets, preferably combined with fats - a bad combination.

I'm still working on the food as a reward issue, probably will always have to work on that, but at least now I've wrestled the beast to the ground and I am sitting on him.

The sweets part was tricky. I used to try pretzels, then it was nuts, then it was a bath with a good book - none of it worked. Every well intended friend and educated medical professional around advised me to try will power and will power beat me every time. As I saw it, sugar was my only vice. For years, the womens' health magazines and books told me that sugar was my friend and fat was my foe and I was eager to buy into that.

One day a couple years ago, I unexpectedly came across an article about the dangers of sugar and insulin resistance. Being the curious kind, I kept reading. As a diet book fan, I knew all about reading health books, but this time, I read books about the impact of eating sugar and lots of refined carbs.

A funny thing happened. I stopped looking at sugar as my friend and began to see it as dangerous substance, much the way I see partially hydrogenated fats or piece of meat that has gone bad. I still enjoy a very small amount from time to time, but it has lost its allure. I never thought this day would arrive - ever. Over the past couple years, I've dropped a couple sizes and sometimes put a few pounds back on during the holidays, but basically, junk food and sugar have all gone by the wayside. I don't even care to have them as an occasional snack.

Awhile back, our office gave a birthday party for a colleague. A very rich chocolate cake with raspberry sauce was served. It was my favorite and from my favorite bakery. In the past, I would have abstained, but with cravings. This last time, I passed and didn't think twice about it.

Hail the power of education.

Good Luck, MG

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement