Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A friend is deducting application fees paid to colleges for applying to graduate schools. She's also including amount spent on study guides for entrance exams, FedEx costs for mailing applications, airline fares to visit schools, etc. (She has copies of cancelled checks and receipts)
Is this possible and where on the 1040 form does one deduct all this? Also, do these costs have to be incurred in '99? Can I deduct such costs if I incurred them in '97 and '98 and I haven't ever claimed it on past tax returns?
Print the post Back To Top
<< A friend is deducting application fees paid to colleges for applying to graduate schools. She's also including amount spent on study guides for entrance exams, FedEx costs for mailing applications, airline fares to visit schools, etc. (She has copies of cancelled checks and receipts)
Is this possible and where on the 1040 form does one deduct all this? >>

I hope your friend isn't gong for a Mesters in taxation. She's either woefully ignorant or cheating. These are not deductible expenses. If she's ignorant, educate her. If she's cheating, watch her.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Also, do these costs have to be incurred in '99? Can I deduct such costs if I incurred them in '97 and '98 and I haven't ever claimed it on past tax returns?
-----
By default, all taxpayers are cash basis. This means you can only take deductions in the year in which you paid for them. You would have to amend your 97 and 98 returns to claim them.
Advertisement