Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: neofool1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121163  
Subject: Educational IRA Date: 8/26/1997 8:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here's something new to talk about. The new Educational IRA, who is able to contribute? Is the limit $500/yr per child or $500/yr per contibutor? That is to say, can we (the parents) contribute $500 and the grandparents also contribute another $500 and...?
$500/yr, even for 18 years isn't going to pay for much. Granted is something and it's tax exempt and it can be transferred to another family member.
What are the thoughts on this vehicle.

vince
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 273 of 121163
Subject: Re: Educational IRA Date: 8/26/1997 10:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<Here's something new to talk about. The new Educational IRA, who is able to contribute? Is the limit $500/yr per child or $500/yr per contibutor? That is to say, can we (the parents) contribute $500 and the grandparents also contribute another $500 and...?>>

Yo!! Vince!!

Lets take a look....

Based upon my interpretation of the law, the annual $500 contribution limitation is per beneficiary (or child). So if YOU give little Sally a $500 education IRA, that is all that Sally can receive for that year. The limitations are per beneficiary...not per donor. And, don't forget the income limitations to see if you even qualify to make the contribution.

<< $500/yr, even for 18 years isn't going to pay for much. Granted is something and it's tax exempt and it can be transferred to another family member. >>

Right. Something is something. And there ARE a few nice features (such as the transferability to another family member...as you point out). But I don't see too much excitement from my clients over this program quite yet. It may go the way of the "tax free savings bond" program for the payment of higher education (which after a bunch of initial buzzing went nowhere).

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: rebelray Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 753 of 121163
Subject: Re: Educational IRA Date: 11/27/1997 3:04 PM
Recommendations: 0
That is correct that "Little Sally" can only have $500
per year deposited to her Educational IRA but as an
incentive to my grandchildren (and their parents) to
continue to contribute regularly, I am offering to add,
to my grandchildren's Educational IRAs', a percentage
(say 10% per year per grandchild) for each dollar they
deposit. This will automatically give each child a 10%
gain on their yearly deposits.

rebelray

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement