Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, my taxes are usually quite simple, but this year will be different since I've been attending graduate school part-time all year. I used the Lifetime Learning credit in 2000, but I only had one semester's worth of expenses, and was not yet participating in my employer's tuition reimbursement program.

So here's 2001 in a nutshell: I have been receiving partial reimbursement from my employer, but it has been taxed. My reimubursement for the Fall semester is still forthcoming in 2002, but the expenses occured in 2001, does that reimbursement still qualify under 2001 for tax purposes?

Also, as my reimbursement has only been partial, can I still claim the tax credit on the balance?

I also read something about a new education deduction, but don't know any details. I do not normally itemize my taxes, would this be something I would want to take advantage of?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated; thanks!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.