Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: OuijaBoardPicks Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23  
Subject: EDU's Product? Date: 10/13/2007 6:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a little confused about what EDU provides. My first impression was that it was an overall business education, but various posts keep referring to language skills. I hope that EDU is into business management education - China needs it! I recently read an article about business education in China. College students tend to pick artsy classes and arrive at the workplace unprepared. Chinese businesses expect students to arrive fully prepared and provide no education to the people they hire. Someone needs to train these youngsters, I hope it's EDU.

Back in MAO's day China was all about meeting quotas, or at least appearing to have met the quota, to avoid being executed. Now they need to catch onto quality control. Consumers don't want toxic toys or a DVD player that destroys your disk. I'm a big fan of commuting by motor scooter and did some research on Italian vs Japanese vs Taiwanese vs Chinese products. The Chinese scooters are as cute as other brands, and much less expensive, but quality control was an issue. The dealers were quite candid about their problems. One dealer informed me that he only carried a two models of his Chinese brand because their other models were unreliable. He also told me that he never know what he would receive when a crate arrived. Sometimes parts were broken or missing when he unpacked the bike and he had to wait for replacement parts to arrive before he could put the bike on display. I went to another shop and their were bikes in the showroom with broken mirrors. In the end I bought a Taiwanese scooter.

But I'm rambling. Point is - I hope EDU is in the business education business - cause, boy does China need it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: scotinus Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 23
Subject: Re: EDU's Product? Date: 10/14/2007 1:17 AM
New Orientals' primary business is preparing students for US university entrance exams. English language proficiency is one angle, but there are many others. Thankfully, they don't make scooters :)

scotinus

Author: EasilyDistracted Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 23
Subject: Re: EDU's Product? Date: 10/10/2008 8:06 PM
EDU is not in the business education business, but is instead in the test prep business.

I am a graduate student now, and many of my friends and fellow students are from China. I have long known of New Oriental Education, or just "New Oriental" from my friends. It's brand name is HUGE, and everyone in China knows of it and what it does. Most importantly, everyone knows what it can do for them/their children. From second-hand experience, I can tell you is that every single student from China that I've met tells me that what EDU teaches works. I can tell you first-hand though, the results that I've seen:
Students that take this course score incredibly high on the US and European standardized tests, scoring even full scores on the language parts which even I struggle with. They tell me that what EDU does is they teach them the tricks to taking tests. For example, in a writing or verbal test, you don't have to read or even understand the whole sentence, but just look for a few key words and you know what the answer will be. I know the students are using this method, because many of them who score 100% are very poor speakers and writers, but damn can they take tests. Its teachers are all young people who connect very well with the students and seem to be very good teachers(all the students I've talked to who've taken courses from EDU liked their teachers), so the quality is very high. This is much more than I can say for the US counter-parts at Kaplan(I remember taking an SAT course there, which did not help whatsoever).

From someone who memorized words from note-cards, and used up countless books of practice tests, what EDU does seems like magic to me. The Chinese mentality is study hard = success, and childrens' entire childhoods are focused on studying, with junior high students spending as much as 18 hours a day non-stop studying. Parents take it so seriously that some sell their houses to pay for cram schools so that their children can get a higher score for the BIG TEST - college entrance exam. All of this I can tell you first hand as I see it every year when I visit China. With more money, comes more schooling, as the competition is unbelievably fierce, so the market is only getting bigger and bigger for EDU.

After seeing all of this, I can imagine nothing but a bright future for "XinDongFang", New Oriental.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement