UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1107  
Subject: Re: Doubts about switching to a Full Service Bro Date: 1/25/2011 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Edward Jones representatives will recommend mutual funds from families that pay them. To them, Vanguard is a dirty word.

Fidelity charges you around $10 when you buy or sell a stock. Edward Jones will charge around $200 if you are buying $10000 worth of a stock. The broker can give you a discount, but you won't get much below $100 for a buy or sell unless it is a few shares at a time.

They don't charge a lot of account fees. They are pretty good about that.

Ask to see their focus list. Do you get a monthly little newsletter? Ask for it. They do select good, bread-and-butter types of stocks. I have an account with them, have often considered closing it because it is so much cheaper to deal with e-Trade--but when the year is over, the Edward Jones account has done very well. So I keep it. And the broker, of course, is a nice fellow I basically like.

The focus list will recommend what proportion of investments in which sector. The stocks recommended are salt-of-the-earth sorts like Proctor & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, Microsoft--that sort of thing. They won't churn the accunt.

There is no law that says you have to have all your money with the same firm. I have my account with Edward Jones, but also Vanguard and Fidelity and some others. I do each year close the worst-performing one and either send the money to the best-performing or sometimes use it to open a new account somewhere else. Results have been good.

Best wishes, Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement