Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

i'd just like to point out that nothing forces you to exclude 100% of your foreign earned income. when i was in a situation similar to yours, i used to exclude all but a few thousand dollars of my income, in order to have enough income to be eligible for roth contributions.

i still didn't owe any US taxes, but i filed my tax returns anyway, just to be sure i had a paper trail demonstrating the legitimacy of the tax position i was taking... but i'm not sure i even needed to file those returns if i didn't want to.

so, with all due respect to pmarti, it's not clear to me that you have made any excess contributions at all. can't you just take the same tax position that i did? what would be the problem with that?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.