Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mindshar Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42  
Subject: EEstor? Date: 7/29/2007 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Has anyone heard anything from "supercapacitor" start-up EEstor recently?

For those that aren't familiar, they are claiming an electrical storage device which will essentially solve the battery capacity/cost issue that is currently making the price of decent range electric cars so high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEstor

They have a patent and supposedly backing from big-name VC Kleiner Perkins, and some lofty claims. They also have an investment from Zenn Motors (April 2007) and supposedly a contract to provide their supercapacitors as a replacement for Zenn's current lead-acid battery technology.

There are a number of questions though which raise suspicion if they really have what they claim, or even anything close. They have been operating in a cloud of secrecy, and Kleiner Perkins doesn't list them as a portfolio company on their site. They don't have their own web site either, and they sound a lot like a case of "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is..."

Anybody know anything new?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lowrisktaker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 7/31/2007 2:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
mindshar and NE,

great idea for a board.....

the problem with EEstor may not be if they are too good to be true...but when will they or someone else pull it off.....and then someone else pull off even better.....

mark twain in his day invested in a brilliant printing press.....but the following year a better one came along.....he went bk.....

altair is a great company possibly in the making.....will it be bested though today or two years from now?

Probably it will be.....

Dave

PS...do you invest in the future car manufacturers or the component makers? In ford's case against the rest of the world....H yes!!

PSS...I honestly believe when we come out of the bear market we are in...that the future of this sort of industry will be up for grabs....that herein is the next MSFT......it is for us a matter of only finding the best monopolistic play.....nothing less will do....

Author: lowrisktaker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 7/31/2007 2:19 AM
PS...do you invest in the future car manufacturers or the component makers? In ford's case against the rest of the world....H yes!!

I meant Henry Ford's days...not the present....in this comment....and it is H yes invest in Ford......

but lets look at the present....financially...man power wise.....experience wise.....show rooms.....plants with capacity.....

who would end up making electric cars?

Dave

Author: NuclearElvis Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 7/31/2007 7:38 AM
"who would end up making electric cars?"

Alabama.

Car companies continue to move there, it's the next Detroit. If Phoenix or anyone else really wanted to commit the capital and build a new manufacturing facility, that would be the state. Hyndai recently went there, I think Honda is building too, and there's a Mercedes plant in Birmingham.

NE

Author: mindshar Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 7/31/2007 1:56 PM
You seem to say that there is too much risk in EV technology companies for investment, but then to say at the end that we should find the next MSFT.

Are you saying that investing in battery technology manufacturers is a bad idea? Or a good one? Or that we should invest in Ford? Or Tesla/Phoenix etc?

Author: lowrisktaker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 8/1/2007 2:36 AM
You seem to say that there is too much risk in EV technology companies for investment, but then to say at the end that we should find the next MSFT.

Are you saying that investing in battery technology manufacturers is a bad idea? Or a good one? Or that we should invest in Ford? Or Tesla/Phoenix etc?

Mindshar,

none of us know what the next investment that is msft worthy will be.....but the next great tech boom could be mixed with nukes and electric cars.....batteries et al.....

in the 60s it was the age of the transister

the 90s the computer chip

every so many years there is a major revolution in technology.....

oil, gold, commodities etc fall by the way side price wise and tech rules.....

now with that perspective, if in the next ten years the next tech boom is heating up.......well remember that the dotcoms almost all went under......and the transister is rarely used today...in its original form........etc.......

in each tech age there are real profit makers with massive monopoly powers.....and just plain stupid plays no matter how much money they seem to make stock wise.....ie JDSU....or petsmart.com.......

We need to focus on what will be monopoly material and why......and what is not so important financially commercially and why....

Dave

Author: lowrisktaker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 8/1/2007 2:44 AM
We need to focus on what will be monopoly material and why......and what is not so important financially commercially and why....

Dave

mindshar,

I'd be surprised if you or other people on the board are not somewhat familiar with the histories of msft intc and csco....along with qcom....the horsemen of the naz.......

we need to find those seeds that will grow beyond belief......

Dave

PS if any of you dont know go to wikopiedia and look up some of the basic history stuff..... www.google.com will get you there.....

Author: mindshar Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 8/1/2007 3:34 AM
We need to focus on what will be monopoly material and why......and what is not so important financially commercially and why.... we need to find those seeds that will grow beyond belief...... the horsemen of the naz.......

Huh?

Author: lowrisktaker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24 of 42
Subject: Re: EEstor? Date: 8/1/2007 4:14 AM
mindshar,

how can you say huh?

let me put it to you this way....will you buy some tech in electric cars based on a story......but the tech turns out to be outdated only months later? or turns out to not have an opportunity cost associated with it that is benefactory to the company?

honestly I have no clue why this would be somewhat over your head.....

technically you are way ahead of me...particularly on this topic...but finding a monopoly is the goal here.....the minor players are not the goal....why is that hard to understand?

sorry if I am being a little bit arrogant perhaps.......but I am repeating myself...after stating my case clearly to begin with....

Dave

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement