Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
ejcg: "I'd like to move money from a mutual fund to an index fund. I'm not too excited about paying the long term capital gains taxes when I take the money out of the mutual fund - the money's been in there for about 10 years. Is there a smart way to make this change?"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most index funds are in fact mutual funds.

The good news (such as it is), is that your basis in your existing mutual fund has been increasing with each reinvested dividend and capital gain over the years (assuming that you have been reinvesting all distributions).

Hope this helps. Regards, JAFO

PS - I have assumed that you are discussing a taxable account because you mentioned taxes and did not reference an IRA, 401-k or other tax benefitted account.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.