Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RanLor79 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120826  
Subject: elderly parent care Date: 2/23/2001 8:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Last April, my mother came to live us. She has health issues and lives on pension and social security. Can anyone tell me the tax deductions I might be entitled to.

Thank you.

Ranlor
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BuffaloMG One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47045 of 120826
Subject: Re: elderly parent care Date: 2/23/2001 2:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Check the "Who is a dependent?" section in the front of form 1040. You may be able to claim her as a dependent if she is not required to file herself. I do not know if you can deduct expenses for hired care though.

Author: yankeesmyteam Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47058 of 120826
Subject: Re: elderly parent care Date: 2/23/2001 6:41 PM
you can claim her as a dependent just like a child.

Author: BigBunkler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47063 of 120826
Subject: Re: elderly parent care Date: 2/23/2001 7:25 PM
Recommendations: 7
Last April, my mother came to live us. She has health issues and lives on pension and social security. Can anyone tell me the tax deductions I might be entitled to.
=== === ===
There are five dependency tests that must be met in order to claim somebody as a dependent (p. 24-29 of IRS Publication 17). One of the tests is the Gross Income Test: Generally, you cannot take an exemption for a dependent if that person had gross income (not including certain Social Security) of $2800 or more for 2000. Another test is that you must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year. You'd best dig out Publication 17 to review all the details.
HTH
--BigBunk

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47273 of 120826
Subject: Re: elderly parent care Date: 2/26/2001 11:21 PM
Recommendations: 2

You've already received information about the requirements for a dependency exemption. This is also covered in IRS Publication 501.

The rules for deducting medical expenses are slightly different, and you may be able to deduct expenses you paid for your mother even if she doesn't qualify as your dependent. See IRS Publication 502.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement