Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFVenus Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11198  
Subject: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/11/2009 6:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Hi all,

Eleven years ago yesterday, the Fool opened up this "Women and Investing" message board. Back in 1998, the Internet was a newborn baby, bursting forth into this world. It was pre 9/11, pre-My Space, pre-reality shows, pre the bursting of the tech and housing bubbles, and pre-Suze Orman. There was a certain innocence in the air that's no longer possible thanks to the aforementioned events. (And I'm not talking about Suze.)

This message board served as a gathering place for both women and men to discuss all financial issues in a supportive and non-threatening environment. I think we accomplished this mission--everyone who participated was educated, amused, and enriched.

Yesterday was the eleven=year anniversary of the first post on this board. And I was wondering where everyone was, what kind of experiences they've gone through during the past 11 years, what lessons they've learned, and how they're faring during this challenging economy.

I've found that women, in general, are far more knowledgeable and experienced about financial matters than they were back in 1998. On CNBC, Les Grande Dames Maria Bartiromo and Sue Herrera are now joined by a large group of savvy young female financial journalists who can hold their own amongst the financial male intelligentia. For every Keith Olberman there's a Rachel Maddow; for every Jimmy Kimmel there's a Sarah Silverman; and for every Bill Clinton, there's a Hillary Clinton. You have, indeed, come a long way baby. (And don't you dare call me baby!)

While most of the reunions that I've attended have been a tad disappointing, I'm hoping that we can meet again, and support each other as we once did in the past. Women are still divorcing in mid-life and forced to deal with handling financial matters for the first time. Many of our original contributors are now part of the sandwich generation, taking care of their parents and their children; some are now retired and dealing with new issues; and some have given up learning how to use a financial calculator in exchange for financial software. (And I'm talking about both women and men.)

So if you're out there...please come back and say hello. Let us know what you've been up to.

Regards,

Barbara Eisner Bayer
TMF Venus
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11185 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/11/2009 6:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm still here, writing for the Fool (it's been some 13 years now!), and still paying attention to women's issues:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2005/04/26/woman-is-sm...

http://www.fool.com/investing/mutual-funds/2009/01/15/female...

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/retirement/2008/05/14/d...

http://www.fool.com/investing/mutual-funds/2008/08/20/the-wo...

http://www.fool.com/investing/mutual-funds/2008/04/10/invest...

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/retirement/2006/01/13/m...

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/retirement/2006/05/03/w...

I'm not the only one, either:

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2008/03/20/warren-buffet...

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/05/20/where-the-g...

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/general/2006/12/05/wome...

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/retirement/2005/10/18/g...

Nice to hear from you, Barbara!

Selena

Author: MikeBuckley Big red star, 1000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11186 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/11/2009 7:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
I imagine that I posted at least once in this forum years ago despite that my gender isn't the focus of attention. I'm happy to post again to welcome back Barb and to show support for her great idea.

Selena, if anyone was going to beat me to the punch, it's such a pleasure knowing that it is you.

By the way, one of my favorite personal finance reporters is CNN's Christine Romans: http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/romans.christin... That's not because she is a woman but because she's a good reporter, which really is the point, right?

Have a great chat, all!

Author: TMFKaren Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11187 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/11/2009 9:32 PM
Hi, Barb. Glad you posted. I can't believe it's 11 years. Let's see, 11 years ago I was neck deep in parenting. Well, the kids grew up and we moved out, LOL!!!

I'm still here at TMF... not on the boards as much but still in the background interacting. I've learned over the years that while it's important to have control of your finances, it's more important to be happy and to live happy.

Fool on!

Karen

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11188 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/12/2009 10:45 AM
So she whose knowledge of the differential pressure cleaning apparatus (vacuum cleaner to you techno-dummies) is non-existent is back? That's great. I suppose it's too much to expect that Barb has gone to the Weesuck Institute of Differential Pressure Cleaning Apparati to master a new skill. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This is actually my first post at TMF since election night. Hmm. Lessee what's gone on since I made my first post here lo those many years ago.

I retired in 2001. Actually, I was laid off and decided to make a career change by joining the leisure class. So far, it seems to be working out and I've found that every time I'm tempted to backslide and rejoin the workforce, that lying down until the temptation disappears works wonders.

The downturn has hit my IRA pretty hard. It's down pretty close to 50%. That kinda hurts. Fortunately, we have other assets to draw on although those are down, also. Right now my goal is to avoid touching IRA principal until I absolutely have to. I signed up for Social Security when I hit 62 last year and that certainly has helped. Mrs Churchy also has a teacher's pension. That forms a pretty solid base. We have cut back our spending somewhat, but we weren't big spenders to begin with.

In the last 8 years, I have acquired 4 grandchildren, 3 of which are shown here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/andrechapelon/kids039...

Left to right are Kai, 3, Lyra, 4, and Alyssa, who just turned 8.

The 4th is Parker, shown here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/andrechapelon/8570747...

It's kinda hard to believe, but my elder stepson turns 40 in July and my daughter turns 35 in September. I'm starting to feel old. Fortunately, that feeling is at least partially offset by the glee I feel when one of the kids complains about how hard it is to raise kids. Grandchildren truly are a parent's revenge.

Churchy - who was Wadaphooliam back then

Author: TMFVenus Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11189 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/12/2009 11:11 AM
Selena,

From the very early days, you have always embodied the heart and soul of the Fool (and, of course, still do.) And you've always made it clear that investing is the same for women as it is for men. And I agree.

However, I do believe that there are differences between the way men and women receive communications. Just look at the difference between women's and men's magazines for examples of what I'm talking about.

Of course this is only a generalization. I think that, over the years, many women have become more like men, and vice versa. Is this, perhaps, a move to a future of androgyny?

Barbara

Author: TMFVenus Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11190 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/12/2009 11:15 AM
Recommendations: 0
Karen writes:

I've learned over the years that while it's important to have control of your finances, it's more important to be happy and to live happy.

Then I assume you've unraveled the mysteries of happiness.

Please, old friend, do tell! : )

Love ya,
Barbara

Author: TMFVenus Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11191 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/12/2009 11:21 AM
Churchy!! Wada!! So glad to see you!!

So she whose knowledge of the differential pressure cleaning apparatus (vacuum cleaner to you techno-dummies) is non-existent is back? That's great. I suppose it's too much to expect that Barb has gone to the Weesuck Institute of Differential Pressure Cleaning Apparati to master a new skill. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I have finally mastered the secret of a good vacuum cleaner--hire a cleaning person who has one!

I retired in 2001. Actually, I was laid off and decided to make a career change by joining the leisure class. So far, it seems to be working out and I've found that every time I'm tempted to backslide and rejoin the workforce, that lying down until the temptation disappears works wonders.

You just need to find a job that you can do lying down. Plumber, maybe?

The downturn has hit my IRA pretty hard. It's down pretty close to 50%. That kinda hurts. Fortunately, we have other assets to draw on although those are down, also. Right now my goal is to avoid touching IRA principal until I absolutely have to. I signed up for Social Security when I hit 62 last year and that certainly has helped. Mrs Churchy also has a teacher's pension. That forms a pretty solid base. We have cut back our spending somewhat, but we weren't big spenders to begin with.

It sounds like you have good plans in place and can outlast this downturn. It can't last forever...can it?!?!?!

In the last 8 years, I have acquired 4 grandchildren, 3 of which are shown here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/andrechapelon/kids039......

Left to right are Kai, 3, Lyra, 4, and Alyssa, who just turned 8.

The 4th is Parker, shown here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/andrechapelon/8570747......

They are GORGEOUS! But I must ask...how does one "acquire" a grandchild? Heck, if there's a secret to it that doesn't entail having children of your own, sign me up!!!!!!

Glad to see you again, Churchy. By the way, why did you change your name, and why did you choose that one?

Hugs,
Barbara

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11192 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/13/2009 5:42 PM
Hey, Barbara --

<<And you've always made it clear that investing is the same for women as it is for men. And I agree.

However, I do believe that there are differences between the way men and women receive communications. Just look at the difference between women's and men's magazines for examples of what I'm talking about.>>

I really can't disagree too much. :)

As much as I might want to think there are no differences, or that there just shouldn't be, there just are. Women are in different situations (in general) -- earning less, over fewer years and living longer than men, for example, and women (again, in general) seem to interact differently with investing -- taking less risk, trading less frequently, worrying more, being less confident, etc.

So -- I concede! :)

Selena

Author: TMFVenus Big gold star, 5000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11193 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/13/2009 6:29 PM
Selena writes:

I really can't disagree too much. :)

As much as I might want to think there are no differences, or that there just shouldn't be, there just are. Women are in different situations (in general) -- earning less, over fewer years and living longer than men, for example, and women (again, in general) seem to interact differently with investing -- taking less risk, trading less frequently, worrying more, being less confident, etc.

So -- I concede! :)

Oh, Selena, you've mellowed!!!

Even though I've spent the last 14 years writing about personal finance and investing, I still find the subject intimidating. (As the saying goes, the more I know, the more I know how much I don't know.) You can master investing to some degree...but what about investing for retirement, and portfolio allocation, and fixed income? And if you master that, there's estate planning, which is a whole other world of information that needs to be learned.

Ironically, although 11 years ago, I was fighting that men and women were different, now, I'm not so sure. I think it's more a personality thing. After all, look how many women have excelled in this so-called man's world. And men are entering professions that in the past have been more traditionally female. Male nurses, for example, are increasing each year. Male teachers hit an all-time low in 2001, and have been slowly increasing. And I just came across an article that said that in 2006, men accounted for only 38 percent of all bachelor degrees in Maine. (So I assume that the other 62 percent were earned by women, unless there's a group of "others" who I don't know about.)

Throughout the years, I've gravitated to the "men's" groups at parties, mainly because they were the ones primarily talking about the market and the economy. But for each of those men, there were many men who wouldn't go near those groups, and were, instead, talking about the environment and saving the planet and spiritual enlightenment. (Then again, I spend the summers in Woodstock, so it's quite a different crowd then the men I bump into on the tennis courts in Florida.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what's true, but I think it's funny that we've both changed the way we think. We've opened our minds. Or, perhaps we've simply "matured."

Barbara

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11194 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/14/2009 9:14 AM
Barbara --

<<Oh, Selena, you've mellowed!!! >>

I have??

<< Anyway, I'm not sure what's true, but I think it's funny that we've both changed the way we think. We've opened our minds. Or, perhaps we've simply "matured.">>

gasp! :)

(Nice to see some conversation here -- and some familiar names from the old days, too, like Mike!)

Selena

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11195 of 11198
Subject: Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date: 3/14/2009 11:32 PM
I have finally mastered the secret of a good vacuum cleaner--hire a cleaning person who has one!

Ah, but the problem with that solution is that it requires income to outsource the job. My way allows the income to be used to pay for things that don't suck, like maybe a trip to the UK this fall to ride behind the world's newest steam locomotive: http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/Steam.htm#Tour101009CMT

You just need to find a job that you can do lying down. Plumber, maybe?

I was thinking more along the lines of mattress tester.

They are GORGEOUS! But I must ask...how does one "acquire" a grandchild? Heck, if there's a secret to it that doesn't entail having children of your own, sign me up!!!!!!

Glad to see you again, Churchy. By the way, why did you change your name, and why did you choose that one?

Hugs,
Barbara

You either gotta have 'em yourself or marry some guy who already has them. It's the only way.

As for the name change, I used to love reading the late Walt Kelley's "Pogo" comic strip. Churchy La Femme was the turtle.

Churchy attacking Howland Owl for reminding him it's Friday the 13th:
http://tinyurl.com/adusst

Hugs to you to.

Churchy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement