No. of Recommendations: 17
Back here in February, I posted that my son's looking into doing a food drive this spring for that very reason. As he says, people get hungry all the time, not just at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

and elsewhere: Younger son did his Eagle scout project recently. Rather than the typical (for our troop, anyway) landscaping, he decided to run a food and toiletries drive for a local umbrella human services agency.

We seriously underestimated the community's generosity.

(from yet another post):

It took 6 trips of filling my big old station wagon. Last Friday, I brought over the last of the items, and over the weekend, we tallied up the results:

3055 pounds of food, estimated value $4943
776 pounds on non-food items, estimated value $1927

from the director of the organization: " . . . the stats. They're mind-boggling. You have done a truly wonderful thing for the thousands of people in need in our community. "

He was deeply touched by the community's generosity and by the positive results of his efforts. He's said it's the best thing he's ever done. Of course, he still has to do the required documentation and paperwork, but all along, he's said that he wanted to help others. And he certainly has.

Originally, there were a few skeptical parents in the troop who felt this wasn't worthy of consideration as an acceptable Eagle scout project. Service to the community -- imagine that! Maybe those parents will change their minds.

He's no angel, but we're mighty proud of him.

~~ Alison
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement