Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Smytharrio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 892  
Subject: Eli Lilly approval Date: 2/5/2004 11:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Lilly had a new cancer drug approved today (Alimta) for mesothelioma, the have high hopes for this drug in other cancers.

The article I read, on the fool news section of Lilly says

"The drug is used in fighting malignant pleural mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs linked to asbestos exposure. There are about 3,000 new cases of the disease in the United States every year, according to statistics cited by Eli Lilly."

How much money will this drug make from mesothelioma treatment alone?

Smytharrio

Print the post Back To Top
Author: KYHAWKEYE Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 406 of 892
Subject: Re: Eli Lilly approval Date: 2/6/2004 9:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Not as much as they will make by oncologists wanting to use i for every other maliginacy under the sun...

Robert A. Dowd, Pharm.D.
Oncology Pharmacist

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407 of 892
Subject: Re: Eli Lilly approval Date: 2/6/2004 9:18 AM
Recommendations: 2
Most likely due to desease application, was under "orphan" status, but since I hadn'e been following, not sure of this accuracy...The very small (relative) number of cases generally indicates this and to the benefit of the pharma, in this case LLY, they are probobly glad to get initial indication approval, but will now start to launch toward off lable use and applications for a wide variety of oncological targets...This, as I'm sure you are already aware of, is why the pharmas are economically willing to work with such small initial populations...

To not be cynical, it does then result in these undertreated persons recieving help where in this purely market driven system, where they would most probobly not if "orphan" status weren't engaged...

As to current $ benefits, not much...Take known cases and multiply cost of treatments and likely is not a break even event...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement