No. of Recommendations: 0
I just read the FAQ on "All About IRAs", and am still a bit confused about the AGI requirement.

One paragraph states: "In order to make a Roth IRA contribution, you must have earned income. Earned income is generally income that you receive from working as compensation for your labor in one form or another. It's reported to you on a W-2 form, or you file Schedule C (Business Income) with your normal tax return. Earned income generally does not include Social Security benefits, pensions, interest, dividends, rental income, or capital gains."

I was working in 1999 up until October, but then left to stay home with our newborn. So, I imagine that for 1999, I can make a contribution since I had "earned income".

But, does this mean that (if I choose not to go back to work in 2000) that I will no longer be able to make contributions to a Roth IRA (having no earned income)?

-- Or, am I still okay if my husband and I file jointly? (Since he will continue working, and our AGI will be under $100,000)

Many thanks from this new Fool.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.