Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
EllenMT wrote:

.... I have been told by some brokers over the phone that I would have to first open a traditional IRA and then rollover/transfer to a ROTH. What are the tax implications of this? ...

It's best to keep things simple. Thus, I suggest you follow your brokers' advice. First do a Traditional IRA (direct) transfer. Your broker should be able to supply you with the necessary forms to fill out and they should also be able to take care of the transfer.
After the transfer is complete you may elect to roll the Traditional to a Roth IRA. Yes, there are tax consequences. Others on this board know tons more what these consequences are.

Good Luck,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.