UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RaptorD2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189504  
Subject: Email For All Date: 9/29/2012 7:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Allow me a rookie question. What are my options for aggregating all my email for use on any device? Does it have to be web-based, or can I open an email file from a desktop used as a poor man's server?

What would you experts recommend?

Dan
Print the post Back To Top
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182010 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/29/2012 9:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Allow me a rookie question. What are my options for aggregating all my email for use on any device? Does it have to be web-based, or can I open an email file from a desktop used as a poor man's server?

What would you experts recommend?

It sounds like you want to have your own email server that fetches mail from all your email addresses and then serves it up to your own devices.

Preferred advice: Don't try it. Instead do this:
1) Look at your existing email accounts and see what connections they offer: IMAP (preferred), POP3, MAPI, or web-only. Make a list of each group. Ideally, you'll only have accounts that support IMAP.
* Start phasing out the web-only ones.
* Look closer at the MAPI ones and see if they support ActiveSync; that's effectively a poor implementation of IMAP. If not, phase them out too because apparently the only source of compatible software is Microsoft.
* Check out which of your IMAP-supporting accounts can be set up to grab mail from other POP3 servers on your behalf, and arrange for them to grab the mail from all your accounts that don't support IMAP but do support POP3. I'm pretty sure Gmail will do this for a small number of POP3 accounts.
2) Check your email clients and for each one verify that it can connect simultaneously to multiple IMAP accounts. Replace the ones that can't. On Windows, Thunderbird can. Since the publisher recently discontinued enhancement of it, it's likely to be the best client for years to come (as they won't be adding pretty-but-unneeded new features that open up new security holes, but will be releasing updates to fix security holes).
3) Configure each of your email clients to connect to *all* your IMAP accounts - and to leave mail on the servers (except when you delete it).

Done.

Now, if you really really want to consolidate all your accounts on one mail server that you run, it's complicated. (And I warn you, I haven't done this in years and then only on Linux. The job comes in parts:

a) Getting all the mail TO your server. The critical Linux/Unix program you want, that is part of a standard installation package, is "getmail". It will connect to POP3 and IMAP servers. Without a Linux box... I'm sure there's a way.

b) Running a mail server. You want to run an IMAP server unless ALL your mail clients are fully MAPI compatible (which basically means they are running Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange - not Outlook Express). Again, there's one that comes with most Linux installations; it's called "imapd" (and don't forget to configure "inetd" to allow incoming traffic to it). Again, there's probably something that will do the job if you don't have a Linux box.

c) Allowing machines to connect to it. If you're only talking about machines on your home network, you're done. But if you're talking about being able to access your email from your phone while you're not at home, then... well, your home network really needs to be behind a firewall (anyway), so either you get a fixed public IP address (usually costs more than one that your ISP can change any time and also might not be a public address) and configure your firewall to forward incoming requests on port 143 to your IMAP server (and then anyone in the world can poke at it); or you get a Virtual Private Network. What these do is have each computer form an *outgoing* connection to some publicly-accessible server, which then links them into a single network theoretically protected from outsiders. The question then is how much do you trust the provider of the publicly-accessible server, because any device that gets into your VPN looks to other devices in the VPN like it's on your firewall-protected home network... and does the provider offer software that supports all your devices including the IMAP server?

(I use Hamachi frequently for computer-to-computer connections to play Dungeons&Dragons; it supports Windows and Macintosh. But I turn it off when I'm not in a game session. There is also NeoRouter which does Win/Mac plus Linux and Android but not iOS. There are quite a few others.)

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182013 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 7:19 AM
Now, if you really really want to consolidate all your accounts on one mail server that you run, it's complicated. (And I warn you, I haven't done this in years and then only on Linux. The job comes in parts:

a) Getting all the mail TO your server. The critical Linux/Unix program you want, that is part of a standard installation package, is "getmail". It will connect to POP3 and IMAP servers. Without a Linux box... I'm sure there's a way.

I used to do this on Linux using sendmail. I prefer it. But a beginner might find reading the 1200 page manual a bit daunting. When I switched from my local dial-up ISP (a very good one) to Verizon FiOS, I had to give it up because Verizon wanted an extra $100/month for a static IP address and an extra $100/month for permission to run a (mail) server.

Author: tketola Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182014 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 9:58 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hey RaptorD2,,,

Well, what warrl already told you is pretty much correct and covers just about all your options.

However, judging just from the fact that you asked this question, I would say your best and the easiest way, is to just go with something like the Google's GMAIL Service, and optionally use the IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) service, option.

The option, going with your own Mail-Server and mail processing, can get pretty complicated in hurry, and expensive, and you do need to be pretty Tech Savvy, or else you would need to hire someone to do it for you.

The easiest and least expensive way, is to use services like Google's GMAIL, that are capable of doing IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) service. Because, using Service like Gmail is Free, and you can just setup an IMAP-GMAIL/Account at Google and on your devices, i.e., Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Smart-Phone, etc., and then just Log into Gmail and all the Emails will be Synchronized and Updated, for any changes made from any other device, and now you have access to all your Up-To-Date e-mails, from any of your Devices. So that, anything you do from one device, like sending, deleting e-mails, will get Synchronized again on your other devices, next time you Log them on to GMAL.

Also, you can just use GMAL as Web-Mail via your Browser, no e-mail-clients involved, then you can just use the other Smart-Device Browsers to Log into GMAIL anytime, anywhere, also no IMAP option needed, and you don't need to do much of anything except setup the GMAIL Account.

Going this route, you don't even need to change any of your existing e-mail accounts, you can setup GMAIL to go and get your mail from the other accounts, provided they support POP3, and then you will have all your e-mail in one account, that you can then access from any of the portable devices. However, not all email accounts, i.e., like Free Hotmail, support POP3.

Just my 2 cents...

TK...

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182015 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 12:51 PM
Not sure if I understand the problem, but just in case I do, here's how I deal with it:

I have a free mail account at mail.com. One of their options is a "Mail collector". I enter all my other email addresses, and all mail addressed to any/all of them is automatically forwarded to my collector, where it's neatly displayed under each address. It even gives me the option of whether the messages should be kept on the original server, or deleted after being forwarded.

~aj

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182016 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 1:08 PM
hey aj, have you ever had mail delivery problems with mail.com? I just looked at the site to read their privacy policy....kind of unclear to me. I don't trust Google with privacy at all.

LD

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182018 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 1:24 PM

I used to do this on Linux using sendmail. I prefer it. But a beginner might find reading the 1200 page manual a bit daunting. When I switched from my local dial-up ISP (a very good one) to Verizon FiOS, I had to give it up because Verizon wanted an extra $100/month for a static IP address and an extra $100/month for permission to run a (mail) server.

Yep, that sort of thing is why I recommended getmail.

sendmail is probably better. But other instances of mail servers connect to it, preferentially expecting it to be available full time so that other mail servers can pass mail to it whenever they like, and as noted you need a fixed IP address. Also you need to have your own domain name, I believe, so that all mail for the domain can be sent to it.

getmail is for a mail server that does *not* have a fixed IP address or a full-time connection, and other mail servers think it's a mail client not a mail server. You don't need your own domain name. It periodically reaches out and establishes connections to mail servers, like a client, to ask them if they have mail for it.

Author: RaptorD2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182019 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 3:25 PM
Thanks, folks. I tried to keep my question as simple as possible and I obviously made it too simple because I didn't know what options I had.

I don't necessarily need all the files in one place. What I do need, is for the email to synch several email addresses (at least 3) across several devices including 2 desktops, 3 laptops and 1 tablet, so that everything synchs, preferably including sub-folders which are subject to periodic additions and deletions, and contact info.

I'm using Windows Mail for my main desktop pc and also use 2 gmail accounts. Main pc is using WinXP and laptops are using Win7 Pro.

I hope that makes sense, 'cuz you guys obviously know the best solution if only I could ask the right question. :( I'm a little bit concerned about having all that info on the web, but if you think it's safe, then that would be okay too. I'm willing to switch to almost anything if it helps, with the exception of Thunderbird, as it has exploded a couple of times and caused great damage.

Dan

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182020 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 5:14 PM
What I do need, is for the email to synch several email addresses (at least 3) across several devices…

This is easy if your mail provider supports the IMAP protocol.

Do you know if they support IMAP?

Who provides your email?

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182021 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 5:16 PM
"hey aj, have you ever had mail delivery problems with mail.com? "

I've had my primary address with them for over ten years, as well as a
number of addresses just for registration purposes at various sites, and
don't recall any issues ever. They send frequent ads for upgrades to
larger boxes and stuff like that, but other than that it's smooth sailing.

~aj

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182025 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 8:31 PM
and you have the free version of mail.com, aj?

Author: RaptorD2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182026 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 9/30/2012 11:25 PM
Do you know if they support IMAP?

Who provides your email?

No, it's POP3 from Internet Nebraska.

They do offer a web-based email service but I need to study it a bit more. Thanks for the tips.

Dan

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182027 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 10/1/2012 12:33 AM
"and you have the free version of mail.com, aj? "

Yes.

~aj

Author: tketola Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182029 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 10/1/2012 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hey Dan,,,

Well, it sounds to me that you already have all the pieces in place to Synchronize all your e-mail accounts. Your GMAIL Supports IMAP and Import mail and contacts as well as Add POP3 mail accounts you own, and your INebraska/ISP supports POP3, IMAP and Web-Based e-mail, as well as Domain-Name Support, support if you want it:

The Following Accounts Include:

E-Mail Account (POP3 / IMAP)
Personal Web Space
Full Usenet News Access
Individual Technical Support
PPP / SLIP
Shell Account

So, you can keep all your Accounts as Separate Accounts, or you can Merge all the e-mails into a Single Account, using POP3 Import Mail functions, like in GMAIL Setting--->Accounts and Import--> Import mail and contacts and -->Add POP3 mail accounts you own. Then using IMAP to Synchronize to all your PCs, Devices.

You just need make sure IMAP is turned ON at INebraska/ISP and Google/GMAIL, and in all your Mail-Clients. If you don't have all the Accounts in all your email-clients, then you need to add them in, like the two GMAIL accounts, or just use a Single/Synchronized Account, if you combine them all via POP3.

You said: I'm using Windows Mail for my main desktop pc and also use 2 gmail accounts. Main pc is using WinXP and laptops are using Win7 Pro.

Well, by Windows Mail, I assume you are using Windows Live Mail on the Win7 machines, and on the Win/XP machine probably using Outlook or Outlook/Express. I am pretty sure the e-mail Synching would be OK, but not so sure about your Address-Book Synching!!! Are all your Address-Books, on your Local Machines and on Web-Mail, the same or are they different??? Just something to consider.

You said: ( I'm a little bit concerned about having all that info on the web, but if you think it's safe, then that would be okay too.

Well, first of all, all your e-mails are already out there on the Internet, flying around from Server to Server whenever you Send or Receive an e-mail, copies of all your e-mails are on every Server it gets Forwarded through,and of course they are also on your INebraska/ISP Servers and on Google/GMAIL Servers. And, unless you are Encrypting all your e-mails they are out there for anyone to see, in Plain Tex, anyone that just might be curious enough to go to that trouble. Also, any Law Enforcemt, can demand, and get, copies of any e-mail that you have ever Sent or Received, because they out there also, on some Archive Severs or Tape, etc.

So, the bottom line is that, there is NO Privacy in any e-mail. All E-mails should be considered to be in Public-Domain, unless you Encrypt them, and even then, Encryption can be Cracked.

You said: I'm willing to switch to almost anything if it helps, with the exception of Thunderbird, as it has exploded a couple of times and caused great damage.

Hmmm, pretty strange. Care to elaborate on that, I am just curious, as to what happened, with the explosion!!!

I use T-Bird on multiple machines, (and I have about 35 people that I help, with their PC/Problems, that have T-bird on them) and I have used it on Win-95, Win-98, XP, Vista and Win7, and never had any issues, that I would consider as major, with it, just some minor things that tend to popup with New Releases!!! Other than that, T-Bird has been one of the Most Consistent and Reliable e-mail client that I have ever used, since the advent of internet.

Couple of other things, you need to carefully consider what you want to do with all the accounts, and how you want it all to work, before you do anything. Also, I would recommend that you do some cleanup on all those accounts before Merging/Synching them, like Spam, Trash, old e-mails you no longer need, etc., then make sure you have all your PC Mail, Address-Book and Account info Backed Up, before yo do any Synching.

So, depending on just how much old, archived, saved, etc e-mails you have,it can take a long time for IMAP to Sync all e-mails, for the first time. I am talking about several hours, maybe days, on each PC and Tablet!!!

Don't know how mush memory you have on that Tablet or if you even have an e-mail client on it but, you might just want to use Web-Mail, via your Browser, on it.

Good luck,,,

TK...

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182051 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 10/3/2012 11:18 PM
No, it's POP3 from Internet Nebraska.

According to their website, they support both POP3 and IMAP: http://www.inebraska.com/dsl/windstream/pricing.html

If you configure your email program to access your accounts using IMAP, you'll get exactly what you want: All messages and folders will always be in sync on all your devices.

Do you have an email program on your computer? If not, you can download Microsoft's free Windows Live Mail app, which supports IMAP accounts.

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182067 of 189504
Subject: Re: Email For All Date: 10/4/2012 3:33 PM
Active Synch is actually a more powerful MS based protocol that synchs more than just email.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement