UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Emergency Fund Date: 6/27/1998 12:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Why is it that when you own a home, it seems that something is always going wrong. It's like everything just takes a turn. When you think everything is finally the way you want it, Wham! something breaks, or breaks down.

This morning, I got out of the shower, and my wife said, "Tony, you know that metal circular plate outside on the house? The one that is above where the pipe goes out to the cesspool? Is that supposed to have water coming out?"

DOH!!!!

So, here I am, waiting for the cesspool guys to come by to fix whatever is wrong. Either there's a clog, or the cesspool is full. And you just know, this isn't going to be a $25 expense.

But, on the bright side, it made me think that this is just another example of why having an emergency fund is so important. Sure, I could just give them my credit card, but why? I have enough in my fund to take care of this (I mean it's not like they're going to have to replace the cesspool) and I don't have to worry about how this is going to be paid. It's still aggravating though.

Did you ever notice how these things always seem to occur on a weekend. Sheesh!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Print the post Back To Top
Author: CassFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2865 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 3:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
TMF2Aruba wrote:

<<Did you ever notice how these things always seem to occur on a weekend. Sheesh!>>

Hate to tell you this, Tony, but it doesn't ALWAYS happen on the weekends. Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night.... Last Thursday night I needed to do some laundry before I went away for the weekend. So I threw my clothes in the washer about 10:30 and went and got ready for bed. Went to bed, lights off and everything, and remembered that the cat was still outside. So I go downstairs to let Buster in and as I walked across the dining room, I realized 1) that the carpet was wet, and 2) that the washer was still running and should have stopped about an hour earlier. My kitchen had an inch and a half of water in it. Apparently the bottom of the washer had rusted out and instead of filling the tub, the machine was trying to fill my kitchen. So I was up until 4am scooping water with a dustpan into a soup kettle and dumping it into the sink. And the carpet was SOAKED from the kitchen until halfway across the dining room.

Anyway, this fortunately does not impact me economically bc it's my landlord's problem, and the only things of mine that were ruined were some cookbooks that were in a very low bookshelf.

The carpet got cleaned on Friday, and everything in the kitchen is fine, but I consider myself SO lucky that I remembered to let the cat in!! It served as a serious reminder for me to make that phone call to get renter's insurance!!!

And then Friday morning (after no sleep) I check my reservations to go away for the weekend and realized that I had made them for Saturday and Monday instead of Friday and Sunday. I thought I was going to cry bc it cost me $180 to change them for the correct flights.

As it turned out, though, I got the $180 back and then some bc I got bumped off my flight and got a voucher worth the cost of that leg of the trip plus $200. (Of course, I had to spend the night in the Airport Holiday in and get up at 4:30 this morning and miss a few hours of work, but oh, well. I'm getting used to living on no sleep!! And I'm sure that some Fool out there will tell me if I'm not as coherent as I think I am....)

Cassandra

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2867 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 3:41 PM
Cass,

Sounds like you've had your share of problems too.

Glad everything got taken care of!

On the note of renter's insurance, I can't stress enough how important that is. A homeowner wouldn't think of not having that, and the same should go for renters.

Fortunately, you away lucky--now it's time to rectify that situation before something else happens.

Good luck with that!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: CassFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2869 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 4:14 PM
Tony wrote:

<< On the note of renter's insurance, I can't stress enough how important that is. A homeowner
wouldn't think of not having that, and the same should go for renters.>>

<< Fortunately, you away lucky--now it's time to rectify that situation before something else happens. >>

I never had renter's insurance all through college, the first few years of my career, and grad school. Never even knew what it was!! I learned about it when I started on this personal finance odyssey a few years ago. But never really had anything worth insuring, either. Now I am starting to get a few nice things (like a Lalique vase that I won in a raffle -- bought $30 worth of tix and won an $1100 vase - aack!! At the time it was worth more than what I'd paid for all my furniture combined!). I knew I was taking a chance NOT having it, but never felt like I could afford it. After last week, and how close I came to ruining the new couch and La-Z-Boy I bought 5 months ago, I agree that I can't afford NOT to have it.

I already made the phone call and am covered as of 12:01am Tuesday. Got a jewelry rider for my grandmothers' rings and enough to cover all my various book and CD collections and liability and everything.

Tony, does this act of responsibility mean that I am becoming a grown-up? First I start paying off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's next?

Cassandra

Author: Bottles Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2871 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 5:01 PM
Cass,

Tony, does this act of responsibility mean that I am becoming a grown-up? First I start paying off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's next?

Think your past becoming an adult, But hopfully still a kid at heart! As for whats next.. Lets see...

How about marriage, a house (as opposed to the apt) preferbly one with city Sewer - dont want a problem such as Tony faced this weekend might occur and then little ones??? Hows that for things that will really tax your level of responsibility.

Bottles
Rob

Author: Hunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2873 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 5:13 PM
Tony wrote:

<< On the note of renter's insurance, I can't stress enough how important that is. A homeowner

Wow I can't agree more. My best friend from college just had an experience that speaks for Renter's Insurance. She lived in an apartment complex that had wood burning fireplaces, and the apartment across the hall had a stray spark and caught fire. The fire spread both upwards to the floor above and latterally to the neighboring apartments. The floor above was completely destroyed, as were the closest apartments. Luckily no one was injured and my friend suffered only smoke and water damage, but the entire building was ruined and everyone had to move. The sad thing was my friend was one of the few who had renter's insurance, so while she stayed in a hotel for a month while her things were cleaned, repaired, and replaced, most of her neighbors were homeless and starting over with nothing. Renter's Insurance is not a luxury. When we were renting I asked myself could I afford to start over for the price of the premium? And then I never questioned buying renter's insurance again.

Learning While I'm Earning,
Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: Hunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2874 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 5:16 PM
<< First I start paying off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's next?>>

<lol> Next you marry the guy in AZ and buy a house...then who knows! ;-P

Always ;-)
Hunzi (the matchmaker)

Author: CassFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2875 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 5:31 PM
<< First I start paying off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's
next?>>

Hunzi wrote:

<< <lol> Next you marry the guy in AZ and buy a house...then who knows! ;-P>>

Yeah, and I'm working towards BOTH those goals!! :)))

But I'll always be a goofball (or so my sweetie says -- heck, and so *I* say!!!)

Cassandra

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2878 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 6:38 PM
<<Tony, does this act of responsibility mean that I am becoming a grown-up? First I start paying off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's next?>>

Cass,

Next? Simple. You get accepted as a new member of AARP. ; )

But congratulations on getting your policy set up. I'm proud of you. And may you never have to file a claim.

You just never know what might happen. If you were to look around your place, you'd find things that would be very costly if you had to replace them, and this gives you something very valuable: peace of mind. : )

Ain't it fun bein' a grownup? ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2879 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 6:43 PM
<<preferbly one with city Sewer - dont want a problem such as Tony faced this weekend might occur>>

Well, Rob, that's not the answer either really. Here on Long Island, those who live in sewer districts pay royally for the sewer tax.

To be honest, it was cheaper for me to just deal with the problem.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2880 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 6:48 PM
<<Renter's Insurance is not a luxury. When we were
renting I asked myself could I afford to start over for the price of the premium? And then I never questioned buying renter's insurance again.>>

Absolutely, Hunzi!

Your story says it all. Some kinds of insurance are just too necessary.

Speaking of insurance, in one way, I go a bit overboard. I don't live in a flood area on Long Island, and I don't even live that close to the water. But while I have an excellent homeowner's policy, they just don't cover floods.

Now the odds are hugely against me being involved in such a disaster, but it was something that concerned me. You know, kind of a "what if" situation. So, I pay $225 a year for flood insurance that I probably will never use.

The answer is simply because I sleep better knowing I have it.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2881 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 7:00 PM

<< On the note of renter's insurance, I can't stress enough how important that
is. A homeowner

I have to add my story on renter's insurance. Way back on New Years 77/78, my wife and I were in our crummy roach-infested apartment. We heard a bunch of sirens that kept on coming. My wife wanted to go out to see what was going on, I steadfastly refused. I'd just finished three years in the Army in Military Police, and I always hated it when gawkers showed up at emergencies, so I wasn't going to do the same.

I felt kind of stupid the next morning when my wife woke me up and told me I'd better take a look around the other side of the apartment building. Our whole neighborhood had been torched! Six apartment buildings had been completely gutted by fire.

None of the renters displaced had insurance. Now, this was a low-income area, but even so, they did have possessions. Furniture, like beds, kitchen tables, sofas, chairs are expensive to replace. Clothes are expensive. Also, everybody has some luxuries, like a TV or stereo. When you are poor, they are even harder to replace.

I hate to think about the hardship that my neighbors went through from that night. Fortunately nobody was killed or hurt. I was glad I had renters insurance, and never felt bad about the premium again. Now when there are sirens in my neighborhood, I go outside to check. Just in case the place is burning down.

George

Author: Bottles Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2884 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 7:25 PM
Tony,

Have heard they can be rather steep as far as Taxes and costs to your water bill for sewer. In actuality, the house my wife and bought last year has a septic system too. But it was last cleaned out before we moved in, codition of the contract.

Ummm how often do/should you clean a septic system out???

Rob
Bottles

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2887 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 7:34 PM
<<Have heard they can be rather steep as far as Taxes and costs to your water bill for sewer. In actuality, the house my wife and bought last year has a septic system too. But it was last cleaned out before we moved in, codition of the contract.

Ummm how often do/should you clean a septic system out???>>

Rob,

It's really a simple procedure, and there are many companies that do this. They locate your cesspools, dig up the cover (they replace all the dirt and grass afterwards), and pump it out into a huge truck. Then they treat the pools with acid, and essentially clean them.)

Depending on how many cesspools you have, and how many people living in your house, doing laundry, etc., will affect how often this has to be done. I figure we're good to go (no pun intended, LOL) for about 3 years before the situation arises again.

You'll usually get some sign that something is wrong. It may be the outside airvent that starts having water come out of it, or you find you're getting back ups in the bathroom.

As long as your cesspools are accessible (some people make the big mistake of building onto their house right over them!), it's not a big project at all.

But one thing...try to find out if your cesspools are very old. If they are, they are probably made of cinderblock. These don't last forever, and can actually cave-in. This happened to us years ago. Both pools caved in, each at a different time! That was a disaster. Big trucks and backhoes have to come in, and they destroy your lawn.

Newer cesspools are what they call "pre-cast" and last forever. I hope these are what you have.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: DonRay Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2888 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 7:41 PM
Cass:

Probably advocating something you have already done but reinteration doesn't hoit.

If you have a video camera, take film of all of your beongings. If not do it will a still camera. Then fill out an inventory of possessions and whatever evidence of purchase and cost you might have.

Then, if you have a safe deposit box or somewhere safe outside of your insured nest, stash away this documentation.

My homeowners insurance guy really advocates this record keeping. He says with the documentation his job is so much easier and he can get larger settlements for his customers in acting as the go-between between the company and the insured.

I'll say the words "credit card" to keep on the board subject.......

Don

Author: DonRay Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2889 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 7:48 PM
Rob:
You should always--and I mean always--clean a septic tank out a week before it starts to overflow.

Right Tony?

Don

Author: emtwo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2894 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 8:44 PM
I remember as a kid, living on a farm, we flushed a box of this stuff down the toilet bout onece every 3 or 4 months.....microbes or some odd thing....actually ate up the stuff, turned everything liquid......lived there for like 15 years, and we never had a problem

v/r

Michael

PS...oh yeah.......keeping on subject...we never bought our microbes with a credit card

Author: sam4d Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2897 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 9:19 PM
George,
We live 1/2 block from the fire department in a small town with a volunteer fire department so we know when there is a fire somewhere. One early morning, the trucks took off and it woke my wife and I. They stopped in front and the ladders went up our house. As the firefighters climbed past my bedroom window, I realized that WE had a chimmney fire. We start pulling the shades after that.
Stan

Author: megeranski Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2903 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/29/1998 11:15 PM
"It served as a serious reminder for me to make that phone call to get renter's insurance!!!"

Cassandra--

yes, renter's insurance is in fact one of the best deals in town. it (almost) litterally saved my life once. i highly recommend it!

Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2913 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/30/1998 9:56 AM
If you have a video camera, take film of all of your beongings. If not do it will a still camera. Then fill out an inventory of possessions and whatever evidence of purchase and cost you might have.

Then, if you have a safe deposit box or somewhere safe outside of your insured nest, stash away this documentation.

Try storing the tape or film with a relative in another city. My insurance agent has told me stories about people who have placed their tapes in a safety deposit box at their bank down the street only to have the bank destroyed in the flood or hurricane along with the person's house.

Author: CassFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2918 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/30/1998 11:09 AM
TMF2Aruba wrote:

<<You get accepted as a new member of AARP. ; )>>

Hey, now.... I got 20 years to wait for THAT one, bub. ....and YOU?? ;)

<< But congratulations on getting your policy set up. I'm proud of you. And may you never have to file
a claim.

You just never know what might happen. If you were to look around your place, you'd find things
that would be very costly if you had to replace them, and this gives you something very valuable:
peace of mind. : )>>

Thanks. It's funny. I actually do feel better knowing that my stuff can be destroyed and that I'm covered. This is a new experience for me! It's especially comforting to know that my grandmothers' rings are covered. Obviously no amount of money could ever replace them, but I could at least have a reasonable facsimile made, or do something else with any insurance $$. Don't know why I never bothered to do this before -- the piece of mind for the rings alone is worth it! :) .... Gosh, I just feel so grown-up!

<< Ain't it fun bein' a grownup? ; )>>

Some days yes, some days no....whenever I look at my bills or credit cards I wish I weren't a grown-up. When I get to go someplace without HAVING to check in with someone, it's fun, among other times....

Cassandra, now fully insured....

Author: CassFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2919 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 6/30/1998 11:19 AM
Don wrote:

<< If you have a video camera, take film of all of your beongings. If not do it will a still camera. Then fill
out an inventory of possessions and whatever evidence of purchase and cost you might have.

Then, if you have a safe deposit box or somewhere safe outside of your insured nest, stash away
this documentation.>>

Funny you should mention that, Don, because I was thinking about doing just that last night.... but I realized that I will have to clean house first so you can see everything in the pictures!! But I will do it little by little. Won't hurt me to borrow someone's video camera and do a walking tour of the house.

I don't have a safe deposit box (been thinking about getting one of those, too!!), but I can always send a copy to a couple of trustworthy and organized relatives or friends. The chances of my place, mom's place, and my best friend's places getting destroyed at the same time are pretty statistically unlikely, so I think that'll hold me until I decide I need a safe deposit box.

Cass

Author: SactoFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3034 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 7/4/1998 12:29 AM
<< Tony, does this act of responsibility mean that I am becoming a grown-up? First I start paying off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's next? >>

Cassandra,

I'm afraid it's all downhill from here. Next you'll be investing Foolishly, retireing comfortably, and living happily ever after wearing the Motley. <sigh> Such a curse, eh?

Just another rambling from that Sacto Fool.

Author: CassFool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3067 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 7/6/1998 10:43 AM
<< Tony, does this act of responsibility mean that I am becoming a grown-up? First I start paying
off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's next? >>

< Cassandra,

I'm afraid it's all downhill from here. Next you'll be investing Foolishly, retireing comfortably, and
living happily ever after wearing the Motley. <sigh> Such a curse, eh?>

You know what? I think I can live with that!! :)

Cassandra

Author: funkychair Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3356 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 7/14/1998 11:38 AM
< First I start paying off CC's , then I turn 30, then I get renter's insurance.... What's next?>>

<lol> Next you marry the guy in AZ and buy a house...then who knows! ;-P

Always ;-)
Hunzi (the matchmaker)

Matchmaker, huh? Can you find me a man who makes a decent salary and is not in debt? Sometimes I feel we're the only ones in this world doing this. I live in nothern California, the land of hyper-consumerism. I really think the people here are the reason for the new bankruptcy laws and the statistics on how much cc debt the average person carries.

funkychair

Author: sam4d Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3363 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 7/14/1998 4:51 PM
funkychair
Where in Northern California? Cable calls Santa Barbara Mid coast. I'm from N Calif. and moved from Eureka so my view of north and south is different than most. Are you saying that the north(above SF) is more ostentatious than LA?
Stan

Author: funkychair Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3392 of 308881
Subject: Re: Emergency Fund Date: 7/15/1998 6:05 PM
funkychair
Where in Northern California? Cable calls Santa Barbara Mid coast. I'm from N Calif. and moved from Eureka so my view of north and south is different than most. Are you saying that the north(above SF) is more ostentatious than LA?

Stan

Sorry, not as north as Eureka. I'm in the Bay Area. I personally live in Oakland. I go through Berkeley and San Francisco quite often. I shop for certain things in Berkeley and/or San Francisco since Oakland is lacking in many things. So it's the Berkeley people and the San Francisco people - and it's not just the people but the non-stop advertising. You cannot escape it here.

funkychair
trying to enjoy billboards as art in Oakland

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement