Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: theobrain901 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461  
Subject: employee negative comments Date: 8/15/2001 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I have been reading the message board for H & R employees and have noticed a lot of complaints and I wanted to respond.

First of all, some background. I am a 47 year old Theology student who has 24 years experience in accounting including running my own tax and bookeeping service for six years. I have worked for H&R Block for the past three seasons and honestly feel that it is the best in the industry! With school, I do not work outside of tax season. I don't do taxes for the money, but because I love helping my clients!

I have had my horror seasons too. My first season was in one of the busiest offices in the Denver Metro area. Our office had 10 full time preparers and was supposed to have 24. Of the ten preparers, 7 were first year preparers. In addition, 55% of our clients were Spanish speaking only and we had 2 full time people who spoke Spanish. Needless to say, we had between 50 to 100 clients in our office at any given time.

I got a first hand look at the complexities of supervising a tax office this past season as I was office co-ordinator of a Sears location in Pittsburgh this season. Despite the headaches of dealing with screaming kids, bickering divorced clients, disgruntled taxpayers, at times, too many hours, too little rewards, I have to say, I have throughly enjoyed my three years at Block.

Yes, like all big companies, at times we feel like cogs in the wheel. But I have really noticed upper management attempting to address us peon's concerns. Witness the new tax certification program and the announced revamping of employee compensation. I have worked with two district managers and both are absolutely tops! Both have always been willing to listen to questions/complaints and have gone out of their way to make me and their other employees feel like they matter.

As far as our other products and peace of mind program. It is like life. If you approach it with a negative attitude, you are defeated from the start. As an accountant, I have found getting my employer's CPA to admit his errors on our tax returns and get him to just pay interest and penalties is like pulling teeth. Pay the tax too? Unheard of! I do not know of any competitor that offers this! When you consider that very few people put their refund in the bank and save it, even a small change on a tax return can be hard to pay for. This is WHY the company wants preparers to OFFER the program to each and every client. The same goes for our other programs as well. These are good products. Take the time to learn about them and be positive in your approach and your customers will appreciate you giving them the CHOICE!

Thanks for the opprotunity to sound off!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement