Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Employee Reimbursement Accounts Date: 12/10/2012 5:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
....for healthcare & dependent care expenses have traditionally been convenient tax shelters until I just discovered (behind on the news I guess) that the limits are now capped for 2013, for healthcare at $2.5K (versus $5K for 2012).

I understand this change is related to national healthcare reform, but trying to understand the reasoning behind it (if there is any).

Anyone shed some light on the background of this change?

Thanks, RS
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117099 of 121219
Subject: Re: Employee Reimbursement Accounts Date: 12/10/2012 6:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Increase taxes.

There are a large variety of taxes included in the healthcare reform act in an attempt to collect enough tax revenue to pay for "free" healthcare.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117102 of 121219
Subject: Re: Employee Reimbursement Accounts Date: 12/10/2012 9:19 PM
Recommendations: 3
I understand this change is related to national healthcare reform, but trying to understand the reasoning behind it (if there is any).

I guess the prior responder is surprised that you have to pay for things or borrow and spend, the alternative. The following tax increases go into effect next year, all a result of the Affordable Care Act, a/k/a Obamacare:

1. The reduction in FSA limits.

2. An increase to 10% of AGI (from 7.5%) in the exclusion of deductible medical expenses. This change is delayed until 2014 for those 65 and older.

The following two were mentioned in a recent thread:

3. The surtax on certain investment income

4. The Medicare surtax on certain earned income

Note that none of these changes has anything to do with the "fiscal cliff" tax components.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117104 of 121219
Subject: Re: Employee Reimbursement Accounts Date: 12/10/2012 11:22 PM
I guess the prior responder is surprised that you have to pay for things or borrow and spend, the alternative

My attempt at sarcasm clearly failed.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117105 of 121219
Subject: Re: Employee Reimbursement Accounts Date: 12/11/2012 12:05 AM
2. An increase to 10% of AGI (from 7.5%) in the exclusion of deductible medical expenses. This change is delayed until 2014 for those 65 and older.

ack! made me look-- diff would've cost me about $400 last year

the limit on medical expenses not something I've ever understood

Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117113 of 121219
Subject: Re: Employee Reimbursement Accounts Date: 12/11/2012 12:23 PM
Ok, thank you.

So it's not because the govt planners think we'll have less need for that higher amount, but rather they are taking from one side, to make up for the other.

Thanks, RS

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement