UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brettrkr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74790  
Subject: Employer won't contribute for 2 yrs Date: 2/10/2004 11:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just hired on with a new organization. The employer will not contribute matching funds to the 401k until I've been here for 2 years. Should I continue contributing the maximum amount (if that is my preference), even though it will only be my money going in?

Also, if I want these contributions applied to 2003, do I indicate this?

Kind regards,
Brett
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39103 of 74790
Subject: Re: Employer won't contribute for 2 yrs Date: 2/10/2004 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!

Also, if I want these contributions applied to 2003, do I indicate this?

Unlike your own IRA or ROTH, which you can contribute to up to Apr 15 if the IRA existed before DEc 31 of the previous year, in most employer plans, you can only contribute to the plan during the calendar year.

Thus, you can't make contributions now for 2003. You missed out.

If you have a separate IRA, that already existed in 2003, you can still make contributions in 2004 into that.

Other than the tax deferral of putting money into your employer's 401K now, there is no reason to max it out.....and if you want to put money into your own self directed IRA for 2 years, that would work as well. Sometimes an employer will let you shelter more than you can in an individual IRA (over 10K).

Depends how much you are saving.

t.

Author: brettrkr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39105 of 74790
Subject: Re: Employer won't contribute for 2 yrs Date: 2/10/2004 12:30 PM
If I max out my IRA early on each year during these two years, would it be wise to contribute the maximum amount to the 401k?

Brett

Author: ortman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39106 of 74790
Subject: Re: Employer won't contribute for 2 yrs Date: 2/10/2004 1:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
If I max out my IRA early on each year during these two years, would it be wise to contribute the maximum amount to the 401k?

Yes, max them both out if you can.

IMO, it's simply not possible to save too much money. :)

If there is no matching in the 401k yet, then you may want to focus on your IRAs first... but I would still strive to max out contributions to BOTH.

-Ortman

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39127 of 74790
Subject: Re: Employer won't contribute for 2 yrs Date: 2/10/2004 6:56 PM

Yes, I just love those pre-tax investment dollars! But I also would suggest that you max out the IRA first (and I hope it is a Roth!).

Also, AFTER you're in a position where your employer is matching, be careful how you time the 401K contributions. Some employers only match the first X percentage of each contribution you make. So, if you don't contribute on a regular and consistent basis, you might miss out on some of the matching funds.

2old

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39170 of 74790
Subject: Re: Employer won't contribute for 2 yrs Date: 2/11/2004 3:22 PM
telegraph wrote, If you have a separate IRA, that already existed in 2003, you can still make contributions in 2004 into that.

Please correct me if I am wrong but the IRA account does not have to exist in 2003 to make a 2003 contribution in 2004. It is possible to establish an account in 2004 and make both the 2003 and 2004 contributions.

The only guideline is that the 2003 contribution must be made prior to the tax filing deadline, excluding any extensions.

dt

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement