Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ed1007 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Employment or Self Employment expense? Date: 2/19/2008 1:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A post in a previous thread has me wondering.

>>>>>Her equipment purchases would likely be fully depreciable in the first year, and her maintenance expenses, license renewals, etc. would also be deductible. (An employee gets those deductions only as an itemized deduction on Schedule A subject to the 2% of AGI exclusion.)>>>>

I have a full time job as a research professor. I also do a very small amount of consulting on the side. (Last year it was less than $5000.)

I have always claimed, or tried to claim expenses such as professional organization memberships and professional journals under sch. A but they never meet the cut off. Can I claim these as SE employment expenses.

The full time job and the consulting are in the same line of work and the memberships, journals etc. are used to maintain my skill levels for both.

Can I claim these as a business expense? Do I need to prorate these expenses?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement