UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tktrimbath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: end game Date: 1/21/1999 4:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Maybe I haven't searched enough but,

is there a discussion or advice on when to start using these investments that we are accumulating? I see lots of advice on how to build it up and very little discussion of the details of how to use that money. I would like to hear what people have to say about selling stocks off bit by bit compared to other strategies. And if selling is the best way to go, what is a good criteria for picking which ones to sell.

Thanks in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7963 of 75383
Subject: Re: end game Date: 1/21/1999 9:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You could go over to the "Retired Fools" board in Fools of a Feather and ask there.

I am not quite ready to decide whether it is right, but one rule of thumb people have used is to liguidate 5% of your holdings each year. I guess the idea is that you can make 5%, so your stake never really decreases. Of course inflation must be factored in.

Which ones to sell? Sell your bow-wows.

Author: dweiss3 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7970 of 75383
Subject: Re: end game Date: 1/22/1999 11:44 AM
JABoa wrote:

Which ones to sell? Sell your bow-wows.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like good advice to me. It is a prescription for buy high, sell low.

What makes more sense to me is a strategy of selling the stocks that have done the BEST. That way you are more likely to buy low, sell high (the only way to make money, in the long run).

Just my opinion.

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7988 of 75383
Subject: Re: end game Date: 1/22/1999 1:58 PM
Greetings, Tktrimbath, and welcome. You wrote:

<<Maybe I haven't searched enough but,is there a discussion or advice on when to start using these investments that we are accumulating? I see lots of advice on how to build it up and very little discussion of the details of how to use that money. I would like to hear what people have to say about selling stocks off bit by bit compared to other strategies. And if selling is the best way to go, what is a good criteria for picking which ones to sell.>>

If you're talking about using that stash in retirement, it comes up from time to time. Mostly the discussion is centered on how to make it all last. For a discussion of those issues, see the 23 posts on this board starting at http://boards.fool.com/registered/Message.asp?id=1040013000079000&sort=postdate . Also, you may want to look over the posts on the Retired Fools board in the Fools of A Feather folder.

Regards….Pixy

Author: trudyKAS One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7996 of 75383
Subject: Re: end game Date: 1/22/1999 6:02 PM
dweiss3

I must agree emphatically with JABoa. Look almost anywhere on the WEB or in any financial publication and the experts who have been investing for years say repeatedly: "Get rid of your nonperformers and let your winners run" Makes sense as long as you know when to sell the winners!!! If the dogs are lying dead in their tracks, haw could you ever make any money on that?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement