UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308369  
Subject: Re: Getting back on the wagon Date: 2/24/2012 11:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
End of February update

I made a decision that not all here will approve of. I decided to take $10k out of my IRA and use it to pay down some of my CC debt. My reasoning is:
1) My IRA is barely making anything while my CC debt is costing me
2) Even after taxes and penalties it's a large enough change in my CC debt to drastically improve my cashflow, allowing me to pay everything down even faster.
3) Being only $10k I can replace it in 2 years with this improved cashflow, once the CCs are paid off... which will likely be the end of this year... which means, if I'm not mistaken, I could actually repay myself completely by the beginning of 2014 if I time the two year's deposits correctly.

So now, since the BofA is at $0, I have no immediate plans to pay that off directly. I will instead put the money into my eFund and pay it off in a chunk just before the rate goes back up next January.

I have also decided to split the extra money each month between the remaining Citi CC and the eFund, so I'll have an eFund. However, I expect about 2k in tax return so that splitting that will pay of the Citi next month anyway. (And I will leave my deductions as is, so that my $3k taxes and penalty on the IRA will be mostly covered by it. Yes, I could use the money all year and bank it as I plan to do with the BofA payoff, but I think I'll hedge my bets and just balance out my taxes this way instead).

So with all that, I put an extra $10k to CC and eFund, plus another $1k from improved cashflow. Here are my numbers now:

Debt        Current  Permanent      Date      Min      Starting  Current       
Name Rate Rate Changing Payment Balance Balance Progress
====================================================================================
Chase 18.24% N/A -- $2,053 $0 -$2053
CapOne 15.90% N/A $0 $360 $0 -$360
Ducks 0.0% 9.90% 7/2012 $42 $4,280 $0 -$4,280
BofA 0.0% 10.90% 2/2013 ? $7,696 $7,696 $0
Citi 3.99% N/A $66 $4,347 $1,366 -$2,981
Mortgage 6.0% 4.50% 2/2012 $1,425 $189,838 $189,838 $0
eFund $0 -$1,562 $1,562
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Debt $208,574 $197,338 -$11,236
CC – eFund $18,735 $7,500 -$11,235

My goal is $1000/month to eFund for the rest of the year (with any excess to the wedding/honeymoon fund).

Speaking of: Costco had a bridal show, so I found a great dress there that was well within my budget. No, I didn't put it on my CC. :-) I paid for it with some of the mortgage I didn't have to pay this month because of the refinance.

Frydaze1
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement