Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Energy credit renewal question Date: 12/23/2010 7:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife and I (we file jointly) placed a new energy-efficient water heater in service in our primary residence in March 2010. The purchase price was roughly $4600, of which $2300 has already been charged to our credit card and $2300 has not.

We also purchased energy-efficient doors for our primary residence, which were placed in service in December 2010. These doors cost approximately $9000. We financed this purchase using same-as-cash financing. When the bank approved us for financing, it issued us two vouchers, payable to the door company, each for half of the cost of the door. We have delivered one voucher to the door company, which has cashed it.

As I understand it, the payments we have already made in 2010 have maxed out the energy-efficiency tax credits available to us for 2010. If we (a) have the water heater company wait until 2011 to charge our credit card, and (b) wait until 2011 to deliver the second voucher to the door company, do we get a tax credit for 2011? As I see it, this breaks down to two questions: (1) Can you get the tax credit for property placed in service in 2010 but not paid for until 2011, and (2) under these circumstances, are any of the payments made in 2011 for tax purposes?

Thanks for any help. --Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement