Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 50nBroke Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25  
Subject: Energy Sector Hot!! Date: 5/15/2001 7:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
KCS hit my F8 screener last week. It is moving up as is many Energy Sector stocks as the energy shortage becomes apparent.

Who else is watching KCS?

What a great chart:

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=kcs,uu[l,a]declyymy[pb50!b200!d10,2!f][vc60][iub14!la12,26,9!ld20!ll14]
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BeginSequence Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 25
Subject: Re: Energy Sector Hot!! Date: 5/15/2001 11:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Have you looked at debt structure and whether or not there are preferred stock? I have not done Fundamental analysis. I do see they have negative equity and am surprised that they have a price of $9 considering they have negative equity and large amounts of long term debt outstanding. This means it would be hard for them to grow and expand via debt, unless they want to pay junk bond rates. This may be very volatile so if energy prices head downward nobody would want to hold near bankrupt energy companes. OTOH there is a big payoff if energy price remains high and this comany recovers from small equity base but lots of wells.

I have not checked the balance sheet in detail compared to previous quarters/years. So I don't know if things are improvening/worsening/staying the same.

Author: mjo2000 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 25
Subject: Re: Energy Sector Hot!! Date: 5/17/2001 9:40 PM
I'm watching/buying KCS. I started when it was just below 5 -- then they announced Chapter 11 & I thought, "Great, another wonderful choice." However, KCS emerged from C-11 and have been doing great. They're drilling more wells with an 82% success rate. Chesapeake CHK, is another hot, sensibly-priced utility, rated a SB by Yahoo. I chose the underdog, KCS, and have been really pleased. I bought another block of shares today -- but will keep a close watch on it.

Author: 50nBroke Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 25
Subject: Re: Energy Sector Hot!! Date: 5/18/2001 6:28 PM
Energy is hot. I am in @ 8.46. Today it closed at 9.37 after just 4 days.

Chart looks great. Sector is hot. If it goes over $10, watch out.

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=kcs,uu[l,a]declyymy[pb50!b200!d10,2!f][vc60][iub14!la12,26,9!ld20!ll14]

Author: dfbailey Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 25
Subject: Re: Energy Sector Hot!! Date: 5/20/2001 8:37 PM
I've owned KCS for about 2 years. Bought at 4.50 when it was a Prudential Select Stock. Has been as high as $30+ until their energy took a hit 3 years ago. I have rode the storm and am glad since now I've doubled my money. I sold off 1/2 my position to completely cover my cost and am going to ride the wave a while longer.

Since they've come out of bankruptcy they have posted record earnings. Sounds like it was a good plan. I hope to see it at $30 again, but only time will tell. I'm impressed with the management's ability to turn the company around so quickly and with such strength.

Just a few of my thoughts...

David

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement