Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ww4321 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71108  
Subject: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 8/21/2012 12:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
reconciliation insufficient

1997 Honda Accord

what needs to be fixed? What should it cost? How urgent is it?

Asking before I go to mechanics.

thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: emtwo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69237 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 8/21/2012 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
P0401 is Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient...

This can be caused by a number of things:

- clogged EGR passages
- bad EGR valve
- bad EGR valve gasket
- clogged catalytic converter
- carbon deposits on the EGR temperature sensor
- vacuum supply issues at the vacuum-operated EGR valve

Cost depends on how long it takes to diagnose that actual issue, and of course, what parts are required.

Urgent? If it comes along with driveability issues like pinging, surging, poor power, poor fuel economy, rough idle, etc, then you probably want to get it taken care of as soon as possible.

One of those "pay me now, or pay me later" scenarios

v/r

Michael

Author: ww4321 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69259 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 8/27/2012 3:04 PM
P0401 is Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient...

This can be caused by a number of things:

- clogged EGR passages
- bad EGR valve
- bad EGR valve gasket
- clogged catalytic converter
- carbon deposits on the EGR temperature sensor
- vacuum supply issues at the vacuum-operated EGR valve
----------------------------------------------------------------

would cleaning the EGR and related area be the first thing done?

Author: tbear2 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69297 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 9/5/2012 5:17 PM
Try disconnecting the vacuum line from the EGR. Plug the vacuum line and take the car for a little test drive. If there is no difference, it is not the EGR.

tb2

Author: ww4321 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69810 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 2/2/2013 2:45 PM
egr was replaced by a mechanic shop -$180 paid
engine code po401 came back after about 400-500 miles

Looking for advice now.

thanks in advance.

Author: ToddTruby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69812 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 2/2/2013 5:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
It would be reasonable to assume the shop did not diagnose the problem and instead just replaced the part indicated by the code. Not uncommon BTW (unfortunately)

There are several diagnositc tests to determine if the EGR valve or control solenoid are making this code come up.

Take it back to the same shop unless you want to pay someone else to start from scratch.

Author: devoish Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69813 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 2/2/2013 9:50 PM
Recommendations: 2
EGR stand for exhaust gas recirculation and it exists to reduce nitrous oxide emissions by recirculating a small amount of exhaust gas back through the combustion chambers.
There is an exhaust tube that goes to the egr valve, the valve itself, and then passages inside the intake manifiold that distribute the exhaust evenly to each cylinder.
To control the valve there is an engine vacuum source, a computer controlled valve to control when vacuum gets to the egr valve, and then the egr valve itself.
You have a new EGR valve.
If you managed to drive 4-500 miles without the code resetting, one of a few things come to mind
A) the mechanic fixed your car 400 miles ago and now something else in the EGR system broke.
B) More likely if the egr and its controls were ok and the mechanic mis-diagnosed the problem 400 miles ago, and for it to have lasted this long without setting a code it is probably a clog impacting only one or two cylinders.
Regardless, it should be treated as a new problem.
1) visually inspect the vacuum hoses, pull them off the tubes they attach to and check inside for cracks than can bleed vacuum.
2) put a vacuum gauge on the hose that goes to the valve, and make sure there is vacuum under a slight acceleration. Depending upon how sophisticated the 97 egr control system is, you might have to put it into drive. There should not be vacuum until the engine warms up, but once warmed up there should be vacuum every time you accelerate. If there is not, then the egr control solenoid or the ecm that controls the solenoid is bad.
If there is vacuum;
3)Put the car in park and with the engine running apply a little vacuum to the egr valve and open it. The engine should stumble and stall. This proves that egr valve can open, the tube from the exhaust to the egr is clear and at least a portion of the passages in the intake manifold are clear.
If the engine does not stumble/stall then the egr did not open and it is no good, (new does not equal good) or the tube from the exhaust side is clogged or the passageways inside the intake manifold are completely clogged. If the tube or the intake had been completely clogged when the egr was replaced you almost certainly would not have driven 400 miles without the light coming on, so most likely there is a partial blockage to one or more cylinders in the intake manifold.
This video I found on the internet shows how to clean it, I do not know your car is exactly the same as the honda he is working on, but it is similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8N-SE047VY

A big chunk of carbon may also have just randomly broken loose from and blocked the flow of exhaust through the new egr valve, and some cars use screens under the egr valve to prevent a chunk of carbon from getting into the egr valve and jamming it open. Over time the screens can dirty and clogged.

But my guess is you need to do the cleaning service as shown in the video.

Hope that helps,
Steven

Author: ww4321 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69815 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 2/3/2013 8:56 AM
Recommendations: 1
thanks for replies

Author: ww4321 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69954 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 4/8/2013 11:24 AM
a mecahnic said he would clean it out--which would fix the problem--for $60.

Does this sound too cheap?

Author: devoish Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69957 of 71108
Subject: Re: engine code -P0401-exaust gas Date: 4/8/2013 9:50 PM
It is hard for us to judge that. Geography matters, exactly what he is promising to clean matters.
Yes, that does sound very cheap to me - but I am on Long Island.

Best wishes,
Steven

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement