UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sturne01 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 16453  
Subject: English definitions?? Date: 6/4/2004 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
G'd Morning Gentlemen and Gentle ladies:

Billf suggested I check in with this forum to learn about websites and specifically Godaddy. (Bill has been a great help with some other problems I've been having.)

Now for a disclaimer: I'm a rank beginner in this stuff. I can turn the computer on and follow directions, and use my computer for its word processing capabilities. By profession I'm a writer with a biological background and have used and progressed from the mechanical calculator, slip-stick, programmable calculator, Kay Pro, and now the Internet connected computer using ME. I can navigate reasonably well in WP and Word (still learning Word). The computer and the word processing capabilities have revolutionized my writing. I no longer have to hire a secretary to clean type my material, and I can edit without having to retype again and again. I'd more likely give up sex before I'd give up my computer.

I've used the Internet and e-mail to transport written material and photographs to most of my editors and markets. In some cases this is a rather recent change in others it has been going on for 10 years.

Now for my questions: Many of my acquaintances have set up websites where they can market books and other materials directly to customers. One of my Internet providers, Mediacom, will allow websites to be set up on their system (free), but the wringer in this is they don't allow for commercial transactions.

Q: 1: Where can I find a simple English explanation of Domains, Websites, domain names, providers, resellers of domains, ISP (I'd guess that this means Internet Service Providers like Mediacom), and ultimately Godaddy.com? How are all of these related, or not?

Q: 2: I've looked at Godaddy's site. They seem reasonable, $10 per month. Are there better places to purchase a name and commercial website?

Q: 2: From all of your experience and wisdom, does it make sense for me to establish and build a commercial website? How much maintenance would be required? How difficult would it be for me to build one, or will I have to hire someone to do this?

I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but this will do for a start.

TIA

Now back under my rock.

Spence, who just had his bad knee injected.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement